Dismantling area before taking in to dealership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone work at a dealership or know whether this stuff is fine?

I think I have an issue with my dashboard (the LCD is distorted, looks like the liquid may be leaking?). I plan on bringing it into a dealership since it's still under warranty, but last time I went in for the airbag recall, they did everything they could possibly do wrong. Like not clipping the airbag harness wires in, putting screwdriver marks into the dash where they pried out the air vents, ramming the 8mm stereo bolts in so deep that they sunk into the surface and couldn't be removed without drilling them out.

I want to avoid a repeat of that issue since they were incompetent last time and showed no care whatsoever, I'm planning on dismantling the area so they can easily access the instrument cluster. If I show up to the dealership like that, would that pose any problems? The LCD itself will be untouched, I just want to remove all of the plastic trim and stuff around it so I know for a fact that they can't screw it up. They just have to look at the LCD, remove it and either test it and replace it or just replace it. Then I can drive it home and put everything back together.

They work on book time, if you save them time, you will still get charged the rate....

and go to a different dealership.

Last edited:
If you have to take it back to the same dealer call the service manager first and tell him or her your concerns. Ask for a tech that won't butcher it up. Or simply find a different dealer to take it to and again talk to the service manager first about your concerns. I wouldn't start taking it apart.

I'm not planning on taking it to the same dealer, but I suspect that this could happen at any of them and it seriously reduced my confidence in the workmanship of them in general.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
They work on book time, if you save them time, you will still get charged the rate....

If it's under warranty, the manufacturer should be paying the labor, which should make the tech a little happier-less work for same amount of $. Another reason why I hate new cars, too hard to get warranty repairs done correctly-unless it's a new Ford, then it's hard to get them repaired PERIOD!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

double post

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
You taie that apart abd they will say you damaged it fooling around in there.
Yup that's what I was worried about. Welp guess I'm just going to have to trust them.

They also broke the air vent too last time. As soon as I get out into the parking lot to drive the car back home, what do I see on the passenger side where they did the airbag replacement? The slits in the air vent fell off. I just couldn't believe these people couldn't see this stuff before they returned the car back to me. Not even a cursory glance to check their work.

Then the worst part is I went inside to tell them and they acted like I was the jerk off, like I was bothering them or something. Giving me that tone like they're interrogating me about "what I saw". Go outside and look for yourself! That's when I got home and found bolts strewn all over the passenger footwell (gee I wonder where those came from) and knew they didn't do things correctly.

Do not disassemble. If you do, first they'll laugh. Then they'll blame you when it's not right. Worse yet it may void the part under warranty.

Find a dealer with a better reputation, and insist on quality service.

If it's under warranty, the manufacturer should be paying the labor, which should make the tech a little happier-less work for same amount of $. Another reason why I hate new cars, too hard to get warranty repairs done correctly-unless it's a new Ford, then it's hard to get them repaired PERIOD!

I’m pretty sure techs get paid less for warranty work.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I'm not planning on taking it to the same dealer, but I suspect that this could happen at any of them and it seriously reduced my confidence in the workmanship of them in general.

Flat rate = slapping things together and immediately start working on next vehicle.

"Customer Pay" labor always pays more.....With less paperwork.

Don't dismantle the area. Take good quality and detailed pics of your dash for before and after, cya is the name of the game. Talk to the service writer and do a pre inspection and have him sign off on how they received the car. If there are parts damage after the repairs get the service writer, tech and the general manager and document everything including names times dates and concern. If they still blow you off escalate and get the manufacturer involved. Make yourself a PITA and document everything. I gurantee if you get a regional manufacturer rep involved they will make it right.above all remain calm,polite and document everything. Don't threaten to sue. Just keep escalatinig and if you document everything you will get results. And find a dearler with a good rep. Your owners manual should have the info on who to contact. Good luck and remember pictures speak a thousand words.

Originally Posted By: E150GT

I doubt that a technician's pay varies but the dealership is likely to get paid less than their normal shop rate.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: E150GT

I doubt that a technician's pay varies but the dealership is likely to get paid less than their normal shop rate.

But I believe the faster the tech does the job, the more they can make because they get the book time that the shop bills out at. I knew one mechanic who could do an 8 hour book job in about 2 hours, but of course he said he wouldn't tell tell the customer, just leave the car parked out back and work on the next car.

That's why I like to wait for the car at the dealership, they told me that one job would take 2 hours, but I started walking around the dealership and saw the car outside after 1.5 hours and the guy knocked off a 1/2 off the job. Might have been out there sooner, should have gone for a walk earlier.

But yeah, I wouldn't dismantle it, just take pictures would be a good idea. I wonder if the mechanic would notice if you had a dash cam on that was recording the interior the whole time?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
You taie that apart abd they will say you damaged it fooling around in there.
Yup that's what I was worried about. Welp guess I'm just going to have to trust them.

They also broke the air vent too last time. As soon as I get out into the parking lot to drive the car back home, what do I see on the passenger side where they did the airbag replacement? The slits in the air vent fell off. I just couldn't believe these people couldn't see this stuff before they returned the car back to me. Not even a cursory glance to check their work.

Then the worst part is I went inside to tell them and they acted like I was the jerk off, like I was bothering them or something. Giving me that tone like they're interrogating me about "what I saw". Go outside and look for yourself! That's when I got home and found bolts strewn all over the passenger footwell (gee I wonder where those came from) and knew they didn't do things correctly.

There's no way in heck I would take my car/truck back to those butcher's. Did you call the factory and tell them what went on??? There's gotta be another dealer around.

Last edited:
I would be looking at a different dealer if it were me.

You probably won't save any money (book rate) and you risk annoying the service staff as they see any user attempt at repair as a detriment and may even charge extra because of it. They still have to re-assemble it so things like fasteners might annoy them as well. Make sure they are all there and ideally separated (a fishing tackle divider tray is handy there).

What is it with deserts these days.. they are the LAST ones I would spend real money on getting something fixed. Ask About anything of theirs that obviously poor and they lie like joe Isuzu. Then there’s the mechanics. Holy [censored] they make ham handed mistakes I didn’t make at age 16. I mean breaking things and then never fixing them. How about trying to put the wrong engine in the car. Shoving it around enough to somehow smash the alternator and then send it out the [censored] door without ever test driving it. Oh and then there’s the part about the leaking radiator reservoir that they punched a hole in. Oh don’t worry just drive it till the new one comes in. No [censored] I couldn’t make this [censored] up. My buddy takes his Sonata in there for oil changes. Checked his found 1000 miles later on it was half qt low. Now Sonatas are famous for suddenly burning oil and blowing up . Took it back and they were kind enough to fill it. That was the same Hyundai Stealership we dealt with.
Then there’s just yesterday daughter calls up howling. She got free oil change new Toyota she traded for as soon as we unloaded the junk Hyundai as the new warranty engine sounded like my old Farmall running. Toyotawouldn’t even Change the oil until 10k so we did it. She finally takes it in yesterday for their required warranty inspections and they go over it. They wash the thing and their machine. Busted the license plate cover and folded over the plate. He boyfriend picks it up and complains so they say leave it they’ll fix it. They fixed it all right, bent the plate back and finished busting off the corner of the plate holder. Real KLASSY. And people wonder why I do all my own....

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Do not disassemble. If you do, first they'll laugh. Then they'll blame you when it's not right. Worse yet it may void the part under warranty.

Find a dealer with a better reputation, and insist on quality service.

Exactly. You'll give them the perfect out if they screw something up, they'll blame you. Find another dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back