Paul Stamets talk - Beneficial uses of Fungi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Buster for putting me onto Stamets...mycology sounds like an incredible journey.

Sorry this starts mid stream.

Love the 44 minute mark on treating oil contamination, and rejuvenating oyster mushrooms with sump oil.

I stopped eating portobellos because of him. Psilocybin is a useful tool and I wish the world would see it that way.

I heard a description of fungi from an expert a little while a go that still intrigues me. She said that fungi are between plants and animals, but closer to animals.

Thanks for sharing this one. Excellent!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I stopped eating portobellos because of him. Psilocybin is a useful tool and I wish the world would see it that way.

Care to share any details on why you stopped eating them?

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Care to share any details on why you stopped eating them?

The Rogan interview, he mentioned problems with what's in them...and once "hydrazine"...and that it could be cooked out...most mushrooms need to be cooked was in the interview.

we used to put hydrazine into the boiler feedwater to control oxygen in the feedwater and corrosion.

It (hydrazine) is a known carcinogen, and industry is getting rid of it...

That's not endorsement of the claim, I've no understanding of anything within a mushroom's chemistry...I'm only a couple of weeks into this rabbit hole.

Per his technique, took a bag of hardwood chips, and soaked in a bin full of water for a week and a half.

Laid it out over a couple of broke open beer boxes.

Had some flat white mushrooms, one of which was releasing spores, so tapped them onto a clean white paper towel.

Blended the towel (and a couple of dried Morrrels and Chantrelles) and watered them over the chips the next day.

Week later, have a couple of bean bag bean sized things in the chips.

Not holding a lot of hope for the dried exotics, but looking forward to the next couple of days.

Last edited:
In one of Piers Anthony's books, Omnivore...he has fungi as sentient beings, the dominant spiecies on their planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back