Getting a lost title for a van

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a van that hasn't been titled since 94' or 95'. He went to the dmv and they have purged the records. The vehicle doesn't run, so my parents figured they'd donate it but PBS said it's a headache without a title. It needs a vin verification
But we can't take it to the emission testing center as it doesn't run.Anyone here have trouble and a fix for this.

I understand PBS said they need a title, but that could be just their policy. Do you need a title if you sell it privately? In CT, you don't need a title for vehicles over 20 years old, just a bill of sale. The DMV won't even give you a title if it's over 20 years old, even if you request one.

My nephew was gifted a vehicle from an out state relative some years back where the title was lost. What a pain in arse that was and there was zero we could do. The original out of state relatives had to sort it.

If it sounds like too much of a headache, then put it on Craigslist and sell it as is, no title, for parts. Some junk collector will show up and give you $300 for it. And it will be out of your hair.

Junkyards or a cars for cash place will take them since theyll either be parted or crushed, actually I guess both. Some will only give you 100 or so without it.

1994 model year or previous can get a Maine Registration that counts as proof-of-ownership. Broadwaytitle.com.

You'd be better off having the cops removing it and impounding it, to eventually junk it.

[censored] youre giving it away right? So why should you do the hassle? If they want it they can deal with it. Maybe it’s just me but when I’m giving something away I don’t go very far out of my way to make it happen.

Originally Posted By: Driz
[censored] youre giving it away right? So why should you do the hassle? If they want it they can deal with it. Maybe it’s just me but when I’m giving something away I don’t go very far out of my way to make it happen.

Exactly. If you want to help PBS, sell it to the "we buy junk cars" guy and give PBS half the money. Everyone wins. PBS will get some money, you'll get a little money and the junk man makes a little money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back