Ford FL-500S Vs Baldwin B7449

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, I have tried the search, & cant seem to find the information I am looking for. I recently purchased a new 2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. I completed the first oil change early at 3900 kilometers, or around 2400 miles for you Americans. I though oil was pretty black in appearance for a new engine, & had a gassy fuel dilution odor. I sent a sample to Fluid Life in Edmonton for Analysis.
Once I get results back I will share them.

I replaced oil with a store Brand, (Canadian Tire Formula 1) Shell Manufactured Synthetic Oil, & a Baldwin Filter.

I am having trouble finding the specs for a Ford filter, efficiency rating, & concerned about the differences in bypass settings. I have heard from other sources that some feel that adding an aftermarket oil separator catch can is beneficial to preventing the intake valves from carbon buildup, & might install a Team RXP, dual valve RX catch can, or UPR 5030-221-1 separator in the future. Would be monitoring oil through analysis to log if there is any benefit, or all gimmick.

The following is all I have found for Fords filter specs, I have attached a Baldwin summary as well

Motorcraft FL-500S OIL FILTER SPECS
Part Number: 57502
Principal Application: Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner (2009) w/ 3.0L engine - Ford Taurus, Edge, Mercury Sable w/ V6 3.5L mfg after 1/16/2009
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.09
Outer Diameter Top: 2.942
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM
Beta Ratio
Burst Pressure
Normal Micron Rating
Gasket Dim's: 2.753" OD x ID 2.397" ID x 0.25" Thick
The original oil filter from factory was a FoMoCo AA5E 6714 DA, what is the significance of the ***E/ ***Z as compared with the AA5Z-6714-A

Baldwin is really good for specs when emailed. I have dealt with them on a few matters with Racor, Baldwin and Hastings. They always gave quick detailed responses.

As for the oil, where did you score that? Most CT stores I have been in are now carrying the Citgo made MM oils.

I didn't know Baldwins were that efficient, nice to know! I'd use it personally over the MC for that reason alone. Plus the media won't tear either.

What the efficiency numbers mean.

BX=2 means 50% efficiency. So the chart says it's 50% @ 12 microns

BX=75 means 98.7% efficiency. So the chart says it's 98.7% @ 25 microns.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Where does the bottle of oil fit in here with the filters?

This is the oil I used with the oil change. I was using Canadian Tire Synthetic for quite a while with the Baldwin filter in my 07 5.4 It had 383000 kilometers on original motor & transmission when it was stolen from me 2 months ago. Tow truck driver said it was still driving good when he pulled it off the spruce tree!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What the efficiency numbers mean.

BX=2 means 50% efficiency. So the chart says it's 50% @ 12 microns

BX=75 means 98.7% efficiency. So the chart says it's 98.7% @ 25 microns.

Do you know the specs on the FL-500S ?

Of course, the FoMoCo filter is not an FL-500s; these are typically Champion made "one size fits many" filters that Ford uses on many models to reduce costs "out of the gate".

I contacted Baldwin and received a spec sheet on PDF. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to convert to a file under 6 MB to share. My spec sheet shows the media grade has changed from L26-75M to L26-88 I also don't show an average efficiency, but the old one was 89.4. I think this is better

Part # Brand: B7449/ BALDWIN
Thread: M22 x 1.5
Gasket Features: G449-B AD, HBP (20PSI)
Outside Diameter: 2.92
Length: 4.10
Media Grade: L26-88
Area sq. in.: 164.5
Capacity, grams: 11.5
Est micron rating: 9.8
BX=2: 9.8 (captures 50% of 9.8 micron particles)
BX=75: 27 (captures 98.7% of 27 micron particles)
Burst psi: 200
Collapse psi: 150
OEM Ford

BX=75 was at 25 microns on the other Baldwin, so slightly better. But BX=2 is slightly better on the 2nd Baldwin. The diffetences aren't enough to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back