Thoughts from a Middle Ager

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment may rock the boat quite a bit, but I don't mean it to be snobby. I came from driving an '11 WRX, and my brother previously drove around on a g37. He always drives his cars hard, which I got to experience in the passenger seat. I drove my WRX hard when I had some twisty roads to carve up and pull on the straights, otherwise it was a commuter. These cars are slower on paper compared to the 5.0. My brother recently traded his g37 for the 5.0, and I gotta say, I wasn't really blown away by the 5.0. It's quick, and quicker than the others like I said, but I guess it doesn't let you feel the difference or something (I'm sorry I wish I could give something objective to specify this.) The suspension is nice and sharp for cornering, but rough on all road asperities if you want to cruise. It sounds great and it's easy to drive. I think part of it is that I moved into bikes just before he made the swap, and this messed up my sense/thrill of speed for cars. I hope that if you have been exposed to motorcycles you haven't spoiled your thrill in fast cars. If you think you have, I would go with whichever lets you go on long treks/ travel. And if you are really feeling up for it, take one of the adv bikes and do a trek on those. Cars are comfier, though.

Last edited:
Assuming your retirement is secured, why not do both? Take a nice vacation while you decide which vehicle to get. Then, relaxed from the vacation, take test drives to figure out which one you like better.

Biscut/OP,

I'm the off-path kind.
So:

#1 Take one of the alone trips you talked in the past. This could help you decide what you want from the next 10-20 years.
#2 2019 Mustang
#3 take the family minivan (OP has 4 kids) and make it "snappy". Happy wife means you can enjoy #2...

Never spend money on vehicles that you don't have to. They are essentially disposable commodities. By have to, that includes passions about certain ones. If you have to, you have to ...

But, I'd do a bit of both. Start hunting the LA and Phoenix CL adds for an older 'Stang that really catches your eye. Rust free 5.0 example. They are everywhere and rust free. Fly out and buy it, drive it home. Adventure along the way. Make getting the car the way you want an adventure too.

Along the way, you'll discover things you want to change - seats, suspension, tires, wheels, brakes, etc. Do them as time and energy permit. Get a Euro mini-hitch receiver and add a bike rack when you want. Drive the Pony to some fun places and ride your bikes around and enjoy
smile.gif

You are just getting to the point where time becomes the more important factor and money less so. That trend accelerates as you add years. There are shops all over that can help on a Fox Body to make it anything you want. Pick ones a day or two away and get the work done. Ride your bikes around while it's being done and explore the new settings
smile.gif

A new car is an assembly of ICU's and wiring waiting for an oops ... Mechanical throttle and one ECU are enough.

The money you save on the purchase price of the car will pay for all the hotel rooms along this path and you'll have a bunch of mini-adventures
laugh.gif

Also travel. You need to see Alaska (more than once, it's BIG and takes more trips to "see" parts of it), New Zealand (especially south island), Montana/Wyo, lots of Europe, etc. The savings from not buying a new car will pay for much of this
smile.gif

Get the FOX body. New cars are leaps and bounds better when it comes to handling, performance, comfort, but there is something to be said about the old car driving EXPERIENCE. I love driving my '65 Nova with it's manual steering, heavy clutch, etc. Makes you feel like you are connected to a machine, not a video game.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Assuming your retirement is secured, why not do both? Take a nice vacation while you decide which vehicle to get. Then, relaxed from the vacation, take test drives to figure out which one you like better.

+1 Finances in order? Yes? Great. Have fun! I'm a little partial to the Z cars.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm 50 now...

And my big thing is that "you can't go back".

The places that meant everything to me as a kid have changed...I've found that I can't take anyone new to tose places and get them to experience anything like what it means/meant to me.

Same with cars...My thing was Holden Toranas...making them fast and handle. When I went to go back 11-12 years ago, they were slow (compared to those I was driving for work), expensive (everyone else's memories), and heavy to handle. I went back, and I was disappointed.

I realised that I spent the 80s modifying 60s and 70s cars to be the 80s Euro offerings - I got a beater BMW323i for $1,300 (it didn't have air con either), and thrashed the daylights out of it. It went and handled and braked, and I wasn't emotionally invested in it.

2010 Hired a Camaro (if they had a Yellow SS, I would have got that), and drove SFO, across the bridge, up to point Stuart, Guyserville, Reno, down half of Lake Tahoe, and back...I treasure the memories...wouldn't buy a Camaro 'though...especially at Oz prices.

2014 we had the family road trip, Nissan Maxima...was great, I loved every moment with that car (including topping it up with MC 5w20)...wouldn't for a minute contemplate that as our family car. Forever glad that I didn't get an econobox like all my peers do when they travel.

Travelling and renting something that I wouldn't consider for my normal life gave that extra flavour to the trip.

When I was playing with my Toranas, I liked the fact that when I got home Friday, I would start a repowering process that HAD to get me to work (50 miles away) on Monday morning...now that would fill me with dread, rather than excitement.

So again, in Summary, you can't go back.

Insert cheesy motivational pic here...(only because when I watched Vikings with my son, it resonated so strongly)

OR to not insert...

I agree 100%
I have 100 times the stuff I used to have and honestly I find it as a hassle-trap.
I'm a bit older but grew up with the same flavors.

Plus you never know what tomorrow may bring. I found out and often it isn't pretty.
But as individuals we all need to find our comfort spot in life.

I'm building a house a year as I always wanted to and enjoy it Mansions- I always loved a house with all the rooms.

And when you fund it yourself, who cares if it takes awhile to sell. Of course here many don't get it.

Actually cars are becoming a burden to me. I'm working on eventually owning just one.

If you can somehow involve your family/friends with the car purchase, go for it! Otherwise, I would travel and create experiences.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
45 years old. I was lucky in life to always have work and get a decent pay. As a kid I had 2 I-Rock's. Loved them but always appreciated the 5.0 liter Mustang's sheer straight pull. Sooo I'm pondering a few things and wanted to hear your opinions.

1. 2019 Z .... Since the 280 in my youth always had a thing for the Z.

2. 2019 Mustang 5.0 ... I don't think I could do an Eco Boost on the Mustang. I have the 5.0 on a 15 F150 but it isn't the same as the Mustang. Love the motor and I like the V8.

3. 90's Mustang GT rag top in either a maroon or black. Never have I wanted maroon!! Those years Ford got maroon right. This would be a total rebuild by a pro.

Or be smart, and use the cash to travel
smile.gif

I love mts and travel. I have a lot of bikes that don't require oil but cost as much as many cars. Looking foreword to hearing your thoughts and rants!

Resto-mod an original 240/260/280Z. Nissan hasn't made a good Z-car since they were called Datsun. All the later model ones are bloated and overweight.

Nissan hasn't made a good Z-car since they were called Datsun. All the later model ones are bloated and overweight.

Maybe a good additive would be that stuff Rodney Peete and his wife sell on tv.

Bottom line:

I don't find many modern cars "fun". Therefore, there are MANY that are simply not worthy of much consideration. As competent as a modern Corvette is, it drives and feels like a Malibu.

I don't find "classic" cars enjoyable either. They suffer in handling, braking and yes, often outright power is not what we remember.

The truly fun cars may not be what you think. VW's Golf GTi is a fun one. Only the higher end Mustangs seem fun to me. The better versions of the V8 Charger are also fun for a bigger car. BMW and Porsche make some strong contenders.

However, most new cars are really not all that satisfying to me. And therefore not worth the money.

44 year old here. I vote for travel.

I have owned cars that I loved, but as i get older it is the flashes of places, sights, and smells that touch my soul.

Sunset in Iceland with my kids beats any car ever, ever.

Originally Posted By: Okapi77

I have owned cars that I loved, but as i get older it is the flashes of places, sights, and smells that touch my soul.

There are some good academic studies that support this view.
Experiences count for far more in long term personal satisfaction than do things.
I talked with my wife about this and while we both have vivid memories of family trips, the boys' sports performances and visits to theatre and museums, we have less interest in the things that we've owned and our cars were no more than a means of getting where we wanted or needed to be.
Now, if a car is a hobby to someone and they get all wrapped up with a local club and travel to events, then great. For those desiring mainly transportation, the thrill of something special to drive wears off fast and that special machine quickly becomes an appliance, warts and all.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Okapi77

There are some good academic studies that support this view.
Experiences count for far more in long term personal satisfaction than do things.
I talked with my wife about this and while we both have vivid memories of family trips, the boys' sports performances and visits to theatre and museums, we have less interest in the things that we've owned and our cars were no more than a means of getting where we wanted or needed to be.
Now, if a car is a hobby to someone and they get all wrapped up with a local club and travel to events, then great. For those desiring mainly transportation, the thrill of something special to drive wears off fast and that special machine quickly becomes an appliance, warts and all.

Good point. I would not trade the driving trips I've taken to BMW CCA events for anything. I especially remember fondly the two trips my son and I took to the Club's annual Oktoberfest when he was a teenager.. Plus I've had the opportunity to cover press launches of several new BMW vehicles, and met more than a few of the past and present drivers who raced for BMW. I've also had a great time at CCA HPDEs and rallies. To each his own, but getting wired in to an organization that shares your enthusiasm for a particular marque can be a lot of fun...

I feel a little differently. I like cars and I have a mix of older and new ones and a truck for when I need a truck. I did a cross country camping trip a few years ago and it was cheap and fun. I drove my Challenger (2010 I had at the time) so I got to travel and use my car. It was stuffed full with traveling stuff, though. I would get the new car as it will be with you for a long time to enjoy and drive it to where you want to go. There is a lot to see in the US and Canada.

Last edited:
If you like to travel, consider a destination track-day/school where you get a few different car options in a unique local. I think if you do that, you will enjoy yourself and find a car you like

The reason for that is this: Z and Mustang. Two different cars.

I drove 240s (father) and 280s (mine) and even 300ZX (friends). I would never really ever consider a Mustang (in its current market format). My cars are my #1 hobby so I will pick a local drive over travel every day.

Back to cars.... If you want a soft seat and the V8 rumble, that is the Mustang. If you want a stiff, harsh, but quick "stripped" sportscar: 370Z. I would lean 5.0 Mustang for you. The 5.0 will beat the Z off the line so if you are blasting stoplights, it will be more fun. If you are carving mountain twisties, the Z will be far more engaging. Few folks give the 370Z the love it deserves for being a handing characteristics. The Mustang (while quick) will feel like a bloated corpse because you are having to shuffle an extra 500lbs+ around. Now, as the 370Z has aged (punch per $ is down), others are good options too.

However, the 5.0 and the Z are not the only options. Really, when you mention those two.... I think Corvette as that is the "hybrid" result of those two car personalities.

Now, I disagree that modern cars are "less fun". The problem is that a lot of modern "fun" cars are vastly superior to local driving situations. You reach that "should I be doing this" level much faster. Still, modern cars are better than ancestors.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I love mts and travel.

Head out west to the Rockies, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Arizona, northern part of the Grand Canyon, etc. Traveling is an education in and of itself. If I lived in NY I'd travel during the winter months. I remember flying into PHX and driving five hours or so north to Williams, AZ. Temp when landing was around 90. When I arrived in Williams they were talking about getting flurries that night in early May.

It seems like you've gone through enough cars lately to get the bug out of your system. So traveling would be my vote. Maybe buy an old patrol car if you want a V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back