2010 Fusion Hybrid, 18,875 miles AMSOIL SS 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again my friends daughter has gone past what I instructed her to come in for an oil change and so here is the sample. This is the third one with AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and Ea15k51 filter. I cut the filter open and it looks just fine. No make up oil and it was down about half a qt.

Was all that 18k on battery?
smile.gif
That looks pretty good!

I have more wear metals (all of them) in my samples after 4,500 miles (M1 or Schaeffers), so your sample looks like a great fit. You putting a quality oil in the motor for someone not too interested in maintenance. Good on you!

Last edited:
As long as the engine is staying clean inside, that OCI seems fine according to everything in the UOA. She is using a top notch oil. The oxidation looks high because the test detects C-O bonds in the ester portion of the base oil mixture. In VOAs I’ve seen, it starts off in the 40s or 50s, so 61 is reasonable for the OCI.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Can you tell us what percentage of those miles is with the engine running and not solely on battery?
With a TBN of 2.58, I would bet it was far more engine than battery or countless short trips over that 18K OCI.

Great UOA! How many miles are on this car?

These 2010 -2012 Fusion Hybrids with the 2.5L engines are bulletproof. In the Toyota and Honda durability category, in my opinion. I have the same 2010 Fusion Hybrid, now with 180,000 miles on it.

Just for a frame of reference (or comparison), in 2016, I had a UOA done at 140,000 miles. The oil change interval was 10,200 miles using Mobil 1 0W20EP. Iron level was only 7. TBN was 4 something. The final cst@100C viscosity was 8.42.

My youngest son, the so called destroyer of all things mechanical, is now driving this car full time. He will do his best to neglect and abuse this car. So instead of the anticipated 400,000 miles, I expect it to only make it to 300,000 miles, before it explodes, and I hear him say, "I forgot".

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Does anyone else noticing increase in the viscosity? What could cause that?

I noticed it. Amsoil says the virgin viscosity is 8.5 cSt. Oils thicken from the chain reactions caused by oxidation, nitration, and sulfation. Put simply, high molecular weight products form, increasing the viscosity. One danger caused by this is that they tend to be poorly soluble or insoluble in the oil and tend to attach themselves to surfaces. They don’t necessarily do so and it depends partly on the ability of the oil to keep these large molecules solubized and/or encapsulated by detergents and dispersants and/or blocked from adhering to surfaces by detergents at the surfaces. Esters help with solubizing the large molecules. Non-polar Group II-IV are not good at this, especially those with the higher Group numbers. Acidity also increases, which can but does not necessarily cause corrosionn of soft metals used in bearings. This UOA does not show an indication of acids dissolving soft metals.

In other words in this particular case thickening is not harmul is it? Although thickening is still a first step to sludging, correct?

The only way to know for sure if deposits are forming is visual inspection. It also helps to put a finger on the internal surfaces and see if the finger somewhat sticks to the surface or leaves a lasting fingerprint (been there, done that). Some oils can lay deposits when their properties in a UOA look decent, while better oils can look like heck in the UOA but not yet lay deposits. Run long enough, even the best oils will give up the ghost and lay deposits.

Thickening is Stage 3, according to some researchers.
http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4442/3/1/54/htm
Quote:
Oxidation is the primary mechanism by which oil degradation occurs in an engine. The process of oxidation occurs in three stages. The first stage corresponds to the depletion of antioxidant and antiwear additives, followed by oxidative degradation of the base oil [2,3]. During this stage, the formation of polar organic compounds in oil (such as ketones, alcohols, carboxylic acids and esters) is more pronounced. The final stage corresponds to an increase in viscosity of the oil owing to polymerization. The recombination of long chain radicals, Aldol and Claisen condensation reactions of carbonyl, carboxylic acid and alcohols that are formed via oxidative degradation in the second stage are the main reactions leading to higher molecular weight molecules [21]. Besides oxidation, during combustion, with the engine running at full load or with improper air/fuel ratios, other reactions that lead to the formation of nitrogen oxides and organic nitrates may occur. Similarly, the presence of sulfur may lead to the formation of SOx, organic sulfones and sulfoxides via oxidation, and sulfurous acid esters when SOx reacts with organic compounds present in oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Can you tell us what percentage of those miles is with the engine running and not solely on battery?

I can't say, she does a lot of in city driving as well as highway from Greenville NC to home which is 70 miles. Of that 70 miles 40 is back country roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back