Moles ruining my lawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me guidance on how to get rid of moles in the lawn. Not just a few like an acre of moles. The whole lot is getting messed up and people are getting twisted ankles. I'm sure it's moles because a few have turned up dead in the bulkhead. Any tricks would be welcomed thank you

Treat the lawn for bugs, and insects which is their food source and the moles will go to your neighbors lawn.

GrubX. Remove their food supply and they will leave.

Or

Poison - but watch out for domestic animals and children

Or

Black Rat Snake - natural predator

I've tried many things. Grub X works to a point but if you have a healthy soil, you still have earthworms as a food source. Tried the poison worms, garden hose and smoke bombs. Some were hit or miss and I got a couple but poor results overall.

Since I found this trap, my trapping rate is 90%. When I first started I was catching 2+ a day. Set at night, reset in the morning and continue. Worth every penny.

Wire tek mole eliminator.

https://www.ruralking.com/step-in-ground-mole-trap

Originally Posted By: volk06
I've tried many things. Grub X works to a point but if you have a healthy soil, you still have earthworms as a food source. Tried the poison worms, garden hose and smoke bombs. Some were hit or miss and I got a couple but poor results overall.

Since I found this trap, my trapping rate is 90%. When I first started I was catching 2+ a day. Set at night, reset in the morning and continue. Worth every penny.

Wire tek mole eliminator.

https://www.ruralking.com/step-in-ground-mole-trap

Thanks for the link. I'm going to give this a try. They are tearing up my yard big time and I don't like to use chemicals. Hopefully this will do the trick. Is it as easy as it sounds to use? How do you know where to put it in their tunnel line?

Only traps I've bought that consistently work have been these: http://www.traplineproducts.com/

They take a little more to set and require two per section of run, but I have killed a lot of moles with them. I've bought more over the years and have about 8 now. They work best if you can find a run along the border of something they are using, like against a foundation or a flower bed border. Just follow the instructional videos and you'll kill some.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Treat the lawn for bugs, and insects which is their food source and the moles will go to your neighbors lawn.

+1

I have had excellent luck using Giant Destroyer smoke bombs. It works immediately and it is not toxic to humans, pets, soil, plants, or gardens. It also kills the baby moles. It is cheap, effective, and easy to use, https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-279001-Gian...42297&psc=1, but you can buy them almost everywhere, like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Last edited:
I was watching a YouTube video a while back of an in-ground mole trap that worked really well. You dig it into the ground and when they pass through it, it gets them. I think in order to install it though you had to find the trail the mole digs around.

Go to YouTube and put Wack-a-Mole Rodenator in the search box.

In this case, you are igniting a mixture of oxygen and propane, in the tunnel. The entire tunnel, or a good section of the tunnel explodes and collapses - with the mole in it. I had this done last year, in my front and back yards. I found it to be both effective and entertaining to watch.

We have a farm and raise hay and the hills destroy equipment. We use poison. Find the tunnels by punching through the ground with a piece of re-bar and place a table spoon of poison down there and cover.

In fact wife and I were just talking about this. She is on charge of killing gophers and the field I cut yesterday I didn't see one hill. She is doing a number on them.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Go to YouTube and put Wack-a-Mole Rodenator in the search box.

In this case, you are igniting a mixture of oxygen and propane, in the tunnel. The entire tunnel, or a good section of the tunnel explodes and collapses - with the mole in it. I had this done last year, in my front and back yards. I found it to be both effective and entertaining to watch.

Don't live in a mole area, but gophers and ground squirrels are around; the Rodenator is excellent for them; should be similar for any burrowing animal.

Definitely a "10" for entertainment value, as well.

The problem with the traps is that you must find the active tunnel. Moles will make a bunch of new tunnels seeking grubs. I've had good results with cats.

Cats can't go outside anymore around here. Or small dogs. Coyotes have come back in a big way in the Ma/NH area. I've been using grubex, will try peeling some grass back, maybe its not working. I do see lots of worms around on rainy days. I can feel bumps surrounded by dying lawn under my feet everywhere on the front lawn. Where would they actually live? In the lawn, or in my front bushes? The woods is not close to the infestation.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Cats can't go outside anymore around here. Or small dogs. Coyotes have come back in a big way in the Ma/NH area. I've been using grubex, will try peeling some grass back, maybe its not working. I do see lots of worms around on rainy days. I can feel bumps surrounded by dying lawn under my feet everywhere on the front lawn. Where would they actually live? In the lawn, or in my front bushes? The woods is not close to the infestation.

If there are no tree lines close, say within 50 yards, that you can see trails coming out of, they'll be coming from under other areas of cover. Flower beds, foundation slabs like porch / patios, driveways, sheds / outbuildings foundation slabs, etc. Moles are territorial, so only a few, or even one, can create a lot of trails and damage and appear to be more than there really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back