Door Ding Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips on what products actually work and how to do it well? I tried some cheap kits with a hot glue gun on amazon and they're not very effective.

There is non out of a real PDR set for real solid dings and that takes some learned skills to do properly. Slight push ins can be dealt with at home with a little practice.
Look on ebay for PDR pick sets, wedge pump, tap downs.

I watched a paintless dent guy work a big crease out of a vette 10 years back. It was a bad one . $50 and 20 minutes later perfection....
This is a true skill so don’t go trying it on a highly visible place. there will be tears I promise. There’s a whole lot of feeling around way down in the door. Knowing how the metals stretched and how to relieve it. Which pick shape where and how much pressure. I’d call it a whole course of study literally.

Call a good body shop; they can probably recommend someone good.
We are up in the Bay Area; this guy in Campbell fixed a nasty ding on wifey's Acura TSX.
Perfect. I think it was $150? Don't remember for sure.

Originally Posted By: Driz
I watched a paintless dent guy work a big crease out of a vette 10 years back. It was a bad one . $50 and 20 minutes later perfection....
This is a true skill so don’t go trying it on a highly visible place. there will be tears I promise. There’s a whole lot of feeling around way down in the door. Knowing how the metals stretched and how to relieve it. Which pick shape where and how much pressure. I’d call it a whole course of study literally.

Chevette?

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Any tips on what products actually work and how to do it well? I tried some cheap kits with a hot glue gun on amazon and they're not very effective.

i have been kinda playing with pdr also. the glue one will only get it so perfect and need to be followed with a rod. i read the amazon rods were kinda weak and bends easily. not good for pdr. a good rod can be 100 or more

there is also a steep learning curve. there is that guy on youtube that is located in san diego that puts on classes

I tried the hot glue gun kit on Amazon. It's good for a large smooth shallow dent.

Ahhhh, Corvette is Fiberglass or plastic, that does not crease, it either cracks or gouges. As such, can not be worked out.

So, what kind of car again?

Rod

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Find someone who does it professionally, if you really want it done right. They're not that expensive, and your time is (presumably) worth something.

I agree with the above. More importantly I wouldn't let somebody (not even myself) learn to remove dents by practicing on my car. It's a skilled job and it's not that expensive. I paid $50 to have 4 small dents removed from a door.

The process looks awful what with drilling, tapping, sanding, etc. But the results are superb.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Call a good body shop; they can probably recommend someone good.
We are up in the Bay Area; this guy in Campbell fixed a nasty ding on wifey's Acura TSX.
Perfect. I think it was $150? Don't remember for sure.

Talk to the local dealers service dept manager (not desk flunkies, they wont tell you) also. They use them a lot for take in vehicles. Only the good ones stay.
I can a lot of it myself and have the tools cost a lot of money for the rods alone but I too have my limits and don't cross the line of my skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back