Sea foam and GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is sea foam safe to run in fuel tank once in a while in a vehicle that is GDI? Thanks

You can run it, but it won't have any effect to clean up the valves. You need to either introduce a cleaning agent past the throttle body via a centrally-located vacuum point or take off the intake manifold and media blast the valves with ground walnut shells.

Yes. I understand about the valves not being cleaned but will it help with anything else. I have a catch can installed to help the carbon issue.

No I doubt it will do much else, maybe maybe some catalyst cleaning after combustion? Might clean up whatever gunk is inside combustion chamber, but I doubt much else. I wonder if running it in crankcase will do anything from the fumes attacking the carbon through pcv?

For GDI cleaning, get the aerosol seafoam and spray it directly into the intake by sticking the straw past the butterfly valve.

That should at least help the backs of the valves a little bit. I am guessing you would have to do this procedure pretty often, say every 10,000 miles or so, in order to keep them clean. Seafoam is pretty weak sauce by today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back