Why all of the goofy marketing ploys by M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They keep coming up with all of these marketing ploys...this oil's good for a year, this oil's good for 20K miles, and such and such. As far as I'm concerned, ALL full synthetic oils should be good for a year or 20K miles, and they have been for a long time. I like M1 and I use it, but I just don't get all of their goofy marketing ploys...

New & Improved!

Longer, lower, wider....the '49 Hudson is the car for you.

Be the first on your block......

Don't be left behind....

Remember, supplies are limited.

What's the biggest industry in the USA? (advertising) Putting out bovine mounds and embracing them is what we do.

Marketing ploys like criticizing your competitors product but not really telling us why we should buy theirs? Condemnation of competitors products is all the rage in marketing these days. Have you noticed M1 doesn't do that? I frankly don't get the 20K AP oil, but I have friends that are using it. If there was no such thing as "marketing" our options with all products would be very limited.

M1 is trying hard to be the Procter and Gamble of motor oil. P&G sells numerous brands of soaps and detergents so M1 seems to be following a similar path. Most companies are streamlining and simplifying their product lines.

I don't see a difference between Mobil 1 and anyone else, as far as marketing goes.

My vote for goofy marketing is "Valvoline Modern Engine." Puh-lease.

Fram isn't any better, when they claim that an air filter will only protect your engine up to 20,000 miles.

That's nothing more than a sleezy marketing ploy to sell more filters.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
M1 is trying hard to be the Procter and Gamble of motor oil. P&G sells numerous brands of soaps and detergents so M1 seems to be following a similar path. Most companies are streamlining and simplifying their product lines.
Kinda like GM used to sell numerous brands of cars and trucks? It seems they've had to cut back a bit.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Goofy? How about some of the stupid ads from Castrol over the years?

Smart molecues
lol.gif

I have blinders on when I buy Mobil 1. I buy the original standard version. It’s all I would need. By the way, Walmart has Mobil 1 products on rollback.

I like Mobil 1, but I think they do have far too many variations of it. Now I hear they've got an EP version of their High Mileage synthetic! What's next, an annual protection version of it too? And recently I also noticed in their ESP line they have two versions of 5w30, an ESP Formula 5w30 and one simply called ESP 5w30. I don't see the point of having two versions of that, it's really confusing. They need to simplify their lineup a little more.

Think with your dipstick Jimmy. LOL

Originally Posted By: grampi
They keep coming up with all of these marketing ploys...this oil's good for a year, this oil's good for 20K miles, and such and such. As far as I'm concerned, ALL full synthetic oils should be good for a year or 20K miles, and they have been for a long time. I like M1 and I use it, but I just don't get all of their goofy marketing ploys...

I really think 10k is pushing it even on cars that are known to be easy on oil.
I run 10k on mine but at 8500 miles I think the oil is starting to degrade even in my hybrids. I would say very few cars would be easy enough on oil to hit 20 k.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Think with your dipstick Jimmy. LOL

Thinking with his dipstick has gotten many guys into trouble....

Originally Posted By: grampi
As far as I'm concerned, ALL full synthetic oils should be good for a year or 20K miles, and they have been for a long time.
This has many variables and it cannot be a blanket statement for all vehicles/operating conditions. Of course, I know you know that, I am highlighting it for the unknowing who may come on here and read this and assume that it is true for every case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back