Dad almost lost a engine from a Double Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always clean the mounting surfsce no matter what, and that will always prevent a double gasket because you'll be visuslly inspecting the filter mount. Will also ensure the new filter gasket has a clean surface to seal to.

I hadn't had this happen a single time, ever, until the last OCI on my Odyssey about 7 weeks ago. And it was on a Fram Ultra 3593A. Like many others mentioned, if you wipe the filter mount surface like you should to help eliminate any drips which may lead to you thinking there's a leak, you automatically get a free peek to make sure there's no other gasket. Not that I'd ever buy an e-core, but this had absolutely nothing but lack of attention to detail written all over it.

I made that mistake 1 time when I was 16. After cleaning up that mess, I check every time. Wipe the surface with a rag every time before putting new filter on to make sure.

Hmm, seems to be a common theme here.

And I agree, always check for the old o-ring.

I have had it happen to me twice in the past 2 years, the first time was with a Purepro filter on my brother in laws truck and the other was a Fram Tough Guard on my bike last month.

No big deal, I looked, saw it, took it off, put new one on with no issues.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Rookie mistake. I wouldn't blame the filter.
Yup, talk about a misleading title. This can literally happen to any filter. There's only one absolute here and that's checking for a gasket before you put the new one on. Anything else is up in the air.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
If that filter gasket was crimped to the can it would have stayed on the old filter.... No doubt the price of a cheap filter.

That light crimp holding the seal in place is not there to keep it in place during removal. It's there to help keep the seal in place during handling and installation. I've had the occasional stuck seal to flange from just about every brand of filter, except maybe Toyota or Honda OE filters. I bet your Dad won't ever do that again.

In 32 years of changing my oil I have never had a gasket come off the old filter upon removal. But I always check just in case.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Always clean the mounting surfsce no matter what, and that will always prevent a double gasket because you'll be visuslly inspecting the filter mount. Will also ensure the new filter gasket has a clean surface to seal to.

+1

Originally Posted By: Patman
In 32 years of changing my oil I have never had a gasket come off the old filter upon removal. But I always check just in case.

I had it happen a few times, but I do two things to avoid a potential problem. 1. Is check the old filter and see it if it has the gasket or not. 2. Wipe the area on the engine where the filter mates with the engine, and make sure there is no gasket there. Aside from that there isn't much else to do.

I always look at the filter that came off for the gasket. I had one come off many, many years ago on a oil filter place special filter. Can happen on any filter, so always check...

I always put fresh oil on the gasket of the new filter I'm installing, perhaps this has helped them from sticking to the block in the first place?

How close did the engine come to being blown. Could the four quarts have leaked out while the engine was not running. If running, would warning lights or noises make you aware before any real damage is done?

Ive gotten good at 'feeling' when a filter's seal is stuck and coming off without it. Essentially, a filter should have almost no drag on the stud. I should be able to slap it and it do at least a rotation just on the inertia.
If the gasket is stuck, it will drag for an extra turn or so until it comes off the gasket completely.
Then I know the gasket is stuck on the engine.
I still check, because I have seen double gaskets survive a whole oil change without blowing out. Dont ask me how, but Ive seen a filter come off with its own gasket, and still have one left on the block.

One nice thing about our two Subarus having the oil filters mount up top is that it would be pretty hard to miss a sticking gasket.

I guess I can't really prove it, but I get the feeling that the filters with recessed O ring gaskets that I have used would be less likely to shed than the ones with square cut gaskets. Haven't tried to pull one off and am not planning to...

Use the OEM for Toyota Motor Corp. O-ring design means gasket will not stay behind. The torque-stop feature means the filter will never be over tightened, and the gasket will be deformed exactly to specs every time. Turn it till if stops. Been doing that a long time and haven't ever had a leak.

Thread should be retitled to "dad almost lost an engine because he didn't look for the stuck rubber gasket, let's blame the filter manufacturer now."

Howcum this never has never happened to me, in many filter changes? I never even heard of it happening until news about 15 years ago of a rash of Hondas dripping oil from double gasketing onto the exhaust manifold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back