Biking in 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't ask me, but I put 30k on a '99 CBR1100XX. For me, it was the biggest disappointment of any bike I've owned. Camchain tensioner issues (Honda refused to acknowledge a problem, so people were using X11 CC tensioners, but I don't think they were any better). Non-adjustable forks, I absolutely hated the linked brakes. You could be riding at a good pace, apply the front brake, and with no idea when it would happen, the rear brake would be actuated by the front, and lock up the rear tire in a skid, and you're then backing it into a corner. Backing it in can be fun when you initiate it yourself, not so much when the bike does it itself at random times.

I also owned the ZX-12 and 'Busa of that era. Still have the 'Busa in fact. Of the three, I think the 'Busa is the best all around bike, with by far the most aftermarket support.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
You didn't ask me, but I put 30k on a '99 CBR1100XX. For me, it was the biggest disappointment of any bike I've owned. Camchain tensioner issues (Honda refused to acknowledge a problem, so people were using X11 CC tensioners, but I don't think they were any better). Non-adjustable forks, I absolutely hated the linked brakes. You could be riding at a good pace, apply the front brake, and with no idea when it would happen, the rear brake would be actuated by the front, and lock up the rear tire in a skid, and you're then backing it into a corner. Backing it in can be fun when you initiate it yourself, not so much when the bike does it itself at random times.

I also owned the ZX-12 and 'Busa of that era. Still have the 'Busa in fact. Of the three, I think the 'Busa is the best all around bike, with by far the most aftermarket support.

I didn’t own it long enough to have camchain tensioner issues. You’re the first of I’m hearing that there were issues with them. I do agree about the non-adjustable forks. They came way too soft from the factory. I never experienced any issues with the Linked brakes but then again I was always, and I mean always, rear brake biased myself meaning that was always the brake I applied first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Inked
Originally Posted By: 02SE

I didn’t own it long enough to have camchain tensioner issues. You’re the first of I’m hearing that there were issues with them. I do agree about the non-adjustable forks. They came way too soft from the factory. I never experienced any issues with the Linked brakes but then again I was always, and I mean always, rear brake biased myself meaning that was always the brake I applied first.

The bad CC Tensioners were a common complaint on the CBRXX forums.

When I was helping teach advanced riding and racing classes, the BIGGEST area where almost all riders could improve, was braking. I can't tell you how many riders I saw that had been riding for years, and never or rarely used the front brake. They all stated a fear of the front tire washing out, or the bike flipping over forward from using too much front brake. The vast majority of a bikes braking potential is utilized with the front brake. Up to 100% if you're braking hard enough to get the rear tire off the ground. A distinct possibility on a Sportbike, less so on a heavy and long wheelbase cruiser.

The CBR1100XX had brakes designed to cater to less-skilled riders that tend to stomp on the rear brake. Which I could never understand, as it was Honda's then flagship Sportbike, which one would think would be ridden by skilled riders.

But I guess Honda's theory makes sense, as this article by Keith Code points out, as most riders aren't nearly as skilled as they think. The point is everyone can improve their riding skills, and the vast majority can also improve their braking skills.

Ketih Code on Braking

Last edited:
Back in 1980 I spent several days riding a Guzzi S3, many years later I find it's considered a rare bike. It had linked brakes - the handlebar lever applied one front disc, the footbrake lever applied the other front disc, and the rear. I thought it was a stupid idea, and set about trying to prove so, and then to loudly tell everyone. I tried pretty hard (it wasn't my bike, so not that hard. Charging up to corners and hitting the brakes hard, even in the wet, trail brake...whatever, it never did a thing wrong, just slowed the bike down perfectly. I still think it's a stupid idea, it would turn the rider into a rear brake only rider, and a change to another bike might be a bit scary.

I had a Goldwing (6 cyl) come in last year, it had linked brakes, and there was no rear brake. He didn't worry, he didn't use the footbrake anyway. I still fixed his rear brake...you never know, one day he might find it.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
In 1990 I was riding a '81 Honda CX500 Custom.

I remember that bike - really smooth engine if I recall correctly. I worked in a couple of bike shops in my younger years and got to ride almost every Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki around in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back