2013 Elantra - Cleaned Throttle Body - P0106

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was replacing the spark plugs on this vehicle (102K) and decided to clean the throttle body as well (stupid me). The throttle body was not very dirty. Immediately after restarting the vehicle, the check engine light comes on and the idle began surging to 2000 rpm. I scanned and found a P0106. Removed and reseated connector - ok. Checked the PID in the Live Data for the MAP sensor and it read normally. After doing some additional research, I was told to reset the Engine Adaptation Values using a scan tool and to follow the Throttle Valve Position learning procedure found in TSB #13-FL-002. Luckily, my Autel Maxisys Elite had the ability to perform the reset of the adaptation values and after perform the adaptations reset and relearning the throttle valve position, the issue was resolved.

Apparently, the ECM on these vehicles builds a strategy based on certain airflow characteristics from the throttle body and therefore, the ECM expects to see a certain MAP voltage at idle. Since cleaning the throttle body changed the expected airflow at idle and the MAP voltage was different than the expected value, the P0106 fault code was triggered.

Moral of the story: do not clean the throttle bodies on certain cars. You can really open a can of worms.

Last edited:
I had to do an Idle Relearn after clean the TB on the Mazda3 in my signature. I didn't get a CEL however, the idle was surging.

Cleaning a throttle valve and then performing an adaptation is the correct way to do it.

You merely discovered the procedure after the fact instead of reading it before hand.

That is odd that values would have changed that significantly, especially given it wasn't dirty looking to begin with.

Like said above and I know it's a dumb question, but did you pull a main fuse or battery lead before hand?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Never clean a tb.
Only causes problems.

False

Throttle bodies need cleaned especially around the 100k mile mark. It's very simple to avoid this headache by disconnecting the battery before you do this type of maintenance and it will relearn on its own.

I just had to replace the TPS sensor on my wife's 05 Hyundai Tucson, Since I was in there I pulled the manifold (V6) and did all 6 spark plugs as well. I pulled the POS terminal off before starting and reconnected when done. No issues at all and the car runs great now. Iridium plugs in the back under the manifold were original with 140k miles and had a gap of over .085!!! The front 3 plugs were changed recently and had normal spec gaps.. apparently a shop screwed the girl I purchased it from when he said he did a "full tune up"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Cleaning a throttle valve and then performing an adaptation is the correct way to do it.

You merely discovered the procedure after the fact instead of reading it before hand.

Not true - the Hyundai service bulletin did not mention anything about needing to clear the adaptations. The bulletin only asked to perform the throttle valve position learning.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Throttle bodies need cleaned especially around the 100k mile mark. It's very simple to avoid this headache by disconnecting the battery before you do this type of maintenance and it will relearn on its own.

This is dependent on the make. Certain males will relearn on their own (Toyota), but Nissans and apparently some Hyundai’s will not. I do not see how disconnecting the battery would have made a difference. Disconnecting the battery usually does not discharge the ECM to clear its memory.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Did you spray cleaner into the bore? Or wipe down with a soaked rag?

Wiped with soaked rag.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

This is dependent on the make. Certain males will relearn on their own (Toyota), but Nissans and apparently some Hyundai’s will not. I do not see how disconnecting the battery would have made a difference. Disconnecting the battery usually does not discharge the ECM to clear its memory.

Why wouldnt it? Aren't learned values stored in volatile memory aka, memory that needs power to maintain what is being stored? If you disconnect the battery the memory discharges and becomes corrupt. Next time you run, the CPU finds the memory corrupt and zeros it out.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Why wouldnt it? Aren't learned values stored in volatile memory aka, memory that needs power to maintain what is being stored? If you disconnect the battery the memory discharges and becomes corrupt. Next time you run, the CPU finds the memory corrupt and zeros it out.

When the negative terminal is disconnected, power is still retained inside modules. If the intent is to fully discharge the modules and “reset them,” one would need to remove both the negative and positive cables, then zip tie them together for a while to fully discharge the modules.

I really try to avoid disconnecting batteries if possible. Radio settings get lost, power windows will need to get reinitalized, etc....owners get unhappy.

Not true - the Hyundai service bulletin did not mention anything about needing to clear the adaptations. The bulletin only asked to perform the throttle valve position learning.

What's the difference?

I really try to avoid disconnecting batteries if possible. Radio settings get lost, power windows will need to get reinitalized, etc....owners get unhappy.

I don't understand why in the year of our lord, 2018, that car radios dont keep memory. Its not like flash isnt stupid cheap.
So yeah, I understand.
The window thing, you can do that while you're pulling the car out.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I don't understand why in the year of our lord, 2018, that car radios dont keep memory. Its not like flash isnt stupid cheap.

Our '14 Fusion doesn't lose memory immediately. I don't know what the time is but I've disconnected the battery for a few minutes and the settings were saved. When I replaced the battery, it took longer, and it did lose them after that time.

What's the difference?

They are two separate operations.

Clearing the engine module adaptations is a function which clears the learned fuel trims and various other operational characteristics.

Doing the throttle valve position learning allows the vehicle to relearn the neutral position of the throttle plate. This done by doing koeo for 10 seconds on/off, then starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back