Toyota Air Fuel Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, this is a very interesting read.

My wife purchased new an '01 Lexus RX300(1MZFE/3.0L V6) with this exact issue. I could never nail it down. I replaced A/F sensors from year 2 til year 15 when we finally sold the SUV. I called her RX a "CEL HOUND" & an "A/F SENSOR EATER".
Although the vehicle was reliable overall, it caused me some headaches with the CEL's and the A/F sensors over the 15 yrs we owned it.

I would get a code for one of the A/F sensors, so I'd replace it. All was good!
Then 2-3 weeks later, the car would trigger another CEL. At that time, it would be the other A/F sensor. So I'd replace that sensor. All was good for ~ 2-3 yrs!

Sometimes when I'd disconnect/reconnect the battery, the CEL would appear. I'd clear it and wouldn't see the CEL for a year or so. WHAT's Going ON?

Then the process would start all over again!

Last edited:
I cant read the article above at work (Barracuda Web Filtering) but the OEM Nissan air filter ruined the TF MAF on my Rogue. The thing was saturated with oil from the factory ( nothing to do with crankcase ventilation either). After I clean the MAF circuit with CRC MAF cleaner and reinstalled it and installed a new FRAM filter the car ran reasonably well for a year. Then I installed a low efficiency STP air filter** and the engine REALLY woke up (when you put your right foot down).

**I did cleanout a acorn stash in the floor of the airbox and a mouse (?) nest beside the battery due to loss of performance AGAIN. Quite a go round. My Tailpipe is still fluffy carbon black and fuerll milage below expected at a ( poor) 23.5 overall. May need a CAT gutting and a new bank 1 A/F sensor, IMO.

Admittedly didn't read complete article, however I have replaced a Toyota A/F ratio sensor on a 3.4L Tacoma back in 2011. Got a CEL and put my trusty Actron Pocket Scan Code Reader on it, retrieved code. Iirc it was P1135. Bought the OEM Denso Sensor from Amazon ~$88. Local Toyota Stealer wanted ~$200 for the same sensor in a Toyota Box.

CEL didn't seem to affect performance or drivability, and replacement was relatively easy. No issues since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back