Dad almost lost a engine from a Double Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oil change was underway... removing a Walmart Ecore, the seal was not crimped to the filter, the seal just pressed into the filter groove, stuck to engine upon removal, double gasketed new filter and lost 4 quarts of oil just like that....

Close call and a lesson learned. If that filter gasket was crimped to the can it would have stayed on the old filter.... No doubt the price of a cheap filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
An oil change was underway... removing a Walmart Ecore, the seal was not crimped to the filter, the seal just pressed into the filter groove, stuck to engine upon removal, double gasketed new filter and lost 4 quarts of oil just like that....

Close call and a lesson learned. If that filter gasket was crimped to the can it would have stayed on the old filter.... No doubt the price of a cheap filter.

It probably had more to do with old eyes than it did with the filter, it's ok to make mistakes but to blame the filter because he double gasketed it? Who do you think you are fooling on this board?

Having owned a shop, it happened from time to time with even Wix, Baldwin and other name brand filters.

I always double check the filter mount to make sure it's clean.

Where is the picture of the uncrimped sealing ring? Usually a well loved brand has been doing this leave the gasket behind act the most. Dad almost lost his engine because of Dad.

I've forgotten to make sure the old gasket came off before. I always make sure the surface is clean before I put the new filter on. Maybe I'll notice then if it ever happens. You're never too old to make a mistake.

No, sounds like Dad needs to be a little more careful checking that the old seal comes away cleanly with the old filter

Doesn't sound like an Ecore problem, could happen with any filter

You have the filter in your hand. you're holding it up right so as not to spill. any. In that split second you notice whether the gasket is there. It is that ingrained in me from decades of 3K OCIs. Practice makes perfect.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
No, sounds like Dad needs to be a little more careful checking that the old seal comes away cleanly with the old filter

Doesn't sound like an Ecore problem, could happen with any filter

Lots to do with the mating surface … my 2007 Chrysler 300 did it on a couple brands and my 2017 Tahoe has now done it on both an AC Delco and Fram Ultra … it sticks so bad you have to wrench off the gasket and then pull the gasket
They were coated with oil …
Try a super grease maybe …?

Yep, standard rookie mistake. It's in all the oil change manuals. Has nothing to do with the particular oil filter. Always make sure the old gasket came off with the filter. Been true way for decades.

Ive had that happen with quite a few filters. Most filters have an o ring that you can remove without much force. Always check the filter to make sure the o ring came off with it and check your block when wiping it down.

This used to happen to me a lot with the Wally World Super Tech filters. No bash, I've had a 2002 Explorer at 235k to this day using that same filter and Super Tech synthetic 5-30 5k changes. It still happens even with higher quality filters to me. I always check!!

I would never do such a thing...
Except when my 93 Toyota 4WD was new my brother noted 2 or 3 drain plug gaskets neatly aligned (stuck) to the block flange...

Don't ask me how stupid I felt...
Of course I learned something that day.

When I bought my '81 Celica (new) the dealer recounted a story just like that and advised me to get all my work done - at the dealership - where else. I thought about it a bit but resolved to always check the mating surface for a gasket left behind.

It's 37 years and lots of oil changes later, and so far so good. But I know what can happen so I'm careful.

Every time I change a filter on a 6.7 Cummins the oring stays on the block. No matter what brand.

My dad double gasketed a filter on a Mitsubishi years ago and burned it up.

Last edited:
This is why you always double check the mounting surface before putting a new one on! Can never be too sure, definitely not the filter's fault, as I've seen this happen on higher quality filters all the time. Over-tightening, a thousand hot and cold cycles, or not pre lubing the new gasket are what causes it to stick to the engine, not the quality of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back