First 5k miles on the Volt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

... and she's been nothing short of stunning. Took her on a ~350 mile trip to the cabin this past weekend in 90+ degree heat with nary an issue. Literally nothing has given me issue, I haven't even had to fill a tire. 80% remaining on the OLM (it was fresh when I bought it) and I plan on leaving that be until the computer says so.

About all I have to do is rotate the tires, haven't found time to do that at work yet. By the end of my shift I'm too hot and tired to throw her up on a lift.

I'm still saving almost $250 a month vs. my previous fuel costs, both cars taking premium fuel. Taking into account my monthly payment ($145) and the extra insurance ($220/mo vs. $120 previously) and the increased electric cost ($50-$60/mo) I basically have a $50/mo car payment. All while saving the environment.

I highly recommend to anyone that has a short commute and lives in an urban area to check out the used market for these cars, if you're shopping now. The prices really are incredible and many are insanely low mileage with very little wear AND a full factory warranty on the hybrid components.

Ok, I'll stop boasting. Happy Monday!

The total range on the display says 305 miles, and the number next to the fuel pump icon says 302 miles.
Does that mean that the battery range is down to 3 miles? Edit: Oops, I see the 3 miles remaining on the battery range indicator.
How many miles can you run on the battery before the engine kicks on?
I had a friend with a Volt when I worked at GM that said the battery-only range dropped to about 11 miles during cold winter weather. He recharged it at the electric car chargers that The General graciously supplied in the parking lot.
When the Cadillac ELR went out of production, I told my electric-car fancier brother to buy one because the discounts were DEEP. He didn't, and is now regretting it.

Last edited:
Nice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The total range on the display says 305 miles, and the number next to the fuel pump icon says 302 miles.
Does that mean that the battery range is down to 3 miles? Edit: Oops, I see the 3 miles remaining on the battery range indicator.
How many miles can you run on the battery before the engine kicks on?
I had a friend with a Volt when I worked at GM that said the battery-only range dropped to about 11 miles during cold winter weather. He recharged it at the electric car chargers that The General graciously supplied in the parking lot.
When the Cadillac ELR went out of production, I told my electric-car fancier brother to buy one because the discounts were DEEP. He didn't, and is now regretting it.

I get about 42 miles per charge right now. I only have a partial winter under my belt, but I was seeing 25-28 miles of range in single to low double digit temps this past March. I didn't have 220v charging in my garage then, like I do now, so using the remote start pulled a few miles out of my range. This season should be a better indicator of true winter range, as I can precondition the interior from the comfort of my bed and cruise to work with minimal use of heat due to the cabin already being warm. I have no issue being chilly on my 8 mile drive to work, the seat heaters do a great job of keeping me warm and negate the need to use the cabin heater.

To be fair, when it gets REALLY cold the gas engine will run regardless of battery state, due to needing warm coolant for the battery. When in this mode, I take full advantage of running the cabin heat. If the engine is running anyways, I might as well use the BTU's. It's hard to explain, but with a Volt you really evaluate all climate control usage. I find it fun, as do most owners, however some would find it tedious.

*EDIT* I WILL, some day, have an ELR. I love Caddy's and I've had my eye on an ELR for years. Unfortunately, they're none too common and still command $20k plus price tags. That, and certain parts are getting HAAAARD to find already, from what I've read on the ELR forums.

Last edited:
The ELR is / was a stunning bargain.

I like hybrids in general, good to hear at least one makes someone happy as an owner. An all-electric doesn't make sense here due to winter temps and the need to run the heater pretty much all the time. That still doesn't make it a poor commuter car but highway travel is pretty much ruled out.

I can't remember the specific vehicle, but a recent cross-country trip in the news during winter months, the driver and passenger were prohibited from using the heater, had to wear ski suits in the car.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How are you saving the environment ?

He's saving money. Who cares about the environment........

Sorry, that was more a tongue-in-cheek comment on my part. I really don't care, I used to drive a Marauder with the cats cut out after all.

It's 100% about the improvement in efficiency for me.

Originally Posted By: CKN

He's saving money. Who cares about the environment........

You would think everyone who has to live in it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back