I fixed my washer ,Thanks You Tube !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife reports the washer isn't draining. First trouble with 12 yr old Whirlpool front loader. Googled "Whirpool Duet not draining." 1st hit was a You tube video that NAILED it. The plate under the front door is on 2 screws. With that off, the drain knob is right there. I put a folded up crummy towel under it and unscrewed the plug. Out comes the screen, a bunch of 1/4" holes in a half tube . Jam packed with 2.35 in change, paper clips a few nails, some nuts some lint to glop everything together. Cleaned the whole shebang, re-assembled and 3 loads later I declare the Duet to be fixed. Whew
grin2.gif

Washing dog beds without really shaking out the dog hair first will clog the filter.

I had a fairly new Frigidaire washer that had the panel you mention under the door. The main door seal leaked and they replaced the washer under warranty. They new one has a one piece front, much harder to clean the filter.

Youtube helped me fix my sisters LG dryer. A voltmeter pointed out the high limit thermostat was bad and I obtained one locally for under $20 and fixed it for her.

good info for me, as i own the same!!! easy belt changes as well!!! the belt drive is best + thats why i bought it.

YouTube comes to the rescue a lot!

I found a video on there for my 14 year old Kenmore top load washer last year. The agitator dogs were worn out. Boy was that easy to fix, like $5 in parts. The lid switch was also going out. Took the washer apart (easy as can be) and replaced the switch for around $10. It's like a new washer again.

Best part about all these fixes...... These older machines are much better then the current new "energy efficient" ones that barely use water, which defeats their purpose... To actually clean clothes. I'll keep my older one going as long as possible!

cheers3.gif
awesome that you fixed it and youtube helped you! I did that for my relatives nissan rogue when I wasn't sure how the spark plugs were to be replaced. Every engine has it's own tricks to it.

Again, thanks for the good news and yeah I agree, IT PAID YOU!! lol..

Yeah, it is much different now than 15 years or so ago.

Today there is hardly anything that can't be fixed by finding a video on it.

While many things I can figure a lot of it out, the videos take the guess work out of some of it.

I am actually waiting on a part for my water dispenser on my refrigerator to come in so I can fix it.
Was pretty sure what the problem was (I thought it was a switch), but online showed what the #1 problem was (a broken tab for the switch) which mine was.

Trying to teach my 12 yr old son why he needs to lean how to fix these things.
Today I made the point to him, I took $200 cash as set it on the table next to $13, and asked which he would rather spend on a repair.
He of course said he would want to spend the $13, so explaining to him that if I had called out someone to fix it, the $200 (and maybe more?) would be what it would cost.

Then had to explain to him that the $200 was my money, not his.
smile.gif

Isn't it great?? Congrats on the fix!

I had a similar situation with our 30+ year old Maytag dryer. Was not getting hot all of a sudden. Found a Youtube Video for the same exact model and how to trouble-shoot it with a multimeter... Found the issue, ordered the $8 replacement part (glow rod) and it was all fixed... Not to mention *much* cleaner when I was done with it, it was a bit filthy in there... Did the same for my Central Air when it died out... Until it REALLY died until I had to buy a new unit.

Nice!

I know I've fixed a few gas clothes dryers thanks to u-toob.

My 10yr/old LG front load washer is a bit intimidating, although it does have a tool-less access door at the bottom allowing access to the strainer basket. I've never found anything but a little bit of lint in there. It's more of a loose change catcher.

The water pump in our LG front loading washer is prone to failure and we find a repair video after we googled the error code it was reporting.
$20-30 for a new pump and we should get another ten years out of the thing.
It wasn't completely trivial to get to, but it was easy enough that a klutz like me was able to do the job.

I was also able to fix a defrost water leak/backup problem with our Frigidaire side by side with some help from the web.

Last edited:
The internet can be a real confidence builder when fixing anything. Even if it's a similar repair to a different car, if you watch enough of them, it becomes easy even if it's something you have never attempted to do before.

I have the same washer. Had the same problem. The cause in my case was dog hair clogged it up. Now I clean it every 6 months or so.

Can't wait until a pro comes in here and berates us for not using his services to fix the appliance.

Originally Posted By: BIGJ552000
Best part about all these fixes...... These older machines are much better then the current new "energy efficient" ones that barely use water, which defeats their purpose... To actually clean clothes. I'll keep my older one going as long as possible!

The top-loader is making a comeback these days - Whirlpool and GE-Haier still make them, there's no beating those for durablity in rental properties. But now, they do have automatic water level sensing.

The problem mostly is the detergents. There was good reason why Miele was pushing for European-formula phosphated Persil. Detergent pods are the way to go with front-loaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back