Cleaning the mass airflow sensor on Nissan VQ35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner to douche out the sensor on the wife's car. 106K miles and it's never been cleaned.

Question: after cleaning must I perform an ECU reset? I know the procedure, but is it necessary?. I've seen conflicting information.

I don't know about necessary, but it wouldn't hurt and is easy to do. There is also an idle relearn procedure out there that you could do...........again, I don't know how necessary, but wouldn't hurt.

I've not cleaned the maf on a Nissan but on other makes I don't do any sort of procedure and it always seems fine.

You'd only have to reset if the CEL is on or there are codes stored. Otherwise, it shouldn't be necessary
smile.gif

I'd probably just disconnect the battery and do the idle relearn.. any added bonus such as the trans shifting better is just that.. a bonus.

I cleaned the MAF on my old Infiniti several times and never had to reset anything afterward.

Last edited:
MAF cleaning will not require any relearns.

On the other hand, cleaning the throttle body tends to open up a can of worms. The relearn procedure has a low success rate, especially on the older VQ35s. We've had to reflash ECU's, disconnect injectors, stuff rags in the intake, etc in order to get the relearn to complete. Sometimes, replacing both the throttle body and the ECM is needed. If you decide to clean the throttle body, only do so if you understand the potential consequences.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I've cleaned the MAF on my nissan. As long as you disconnect it from the battery and wait till it dries up, you are fine

By disconnect, is unplugging the wire connector on the sensor sufficient, or do I have to disconnect the negative battery cable?

And, Critic, thanks for that helpful advice.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If it's not broke, why potentially open a can of worms?

Do you replace filters ? If so, why ? Presumably because they get dirty. The MAF gets dirty as well.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
By disconnect, is unplugging the wire connector on the sensor sufficient, or do I have to disconnect the negative battery cable?

Yes, that's sufficient. You want to remove them anyway just to make cleaning them easier. I put them on a work surface with a towel under them, sprayed them extensively (from a distance of about 12-15"), and let them dry for 15+ minutes. I was doing other things so I just let them sit.

I have the VQ35HR engine and as others have indicated, no relearning was necessary.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: Lubener
If it's not broke, why potentially open a can of worms?

Do you replace filters ? If so, why ? Presumably because they get dirty. The MAF gets dirty as well.

Funny, I don't remember seeing anything ever listed in any manual stating MAF cleaning as a maintenance item..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back