Anyone own a Note 8? Low volume while in a call!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a gently used Samsung Note 8 from a co-worker. His carrier was AT&T, mine is Verizon...we had to do a carrier unlock prior to me registering the phone. Once that was done, Verizon had no problems getting the phone on my account. All was going well until I made my first call and I could barely hear the other person. Volume is at max, the media volume limiter is at max, and I still can barely hear on a call. Today I was at a park where there was a large crowd and had to take a call from the wife. She had to yell into her phone so I could hear. Other people around me were carrying on phone conversations so it wasn't like it was so loud that any cell phone would have had an issue.

So that brings me to my question - does anyone here own, or has owned, a Note 8 and had issues with low in-call volume? If so, do you know of a fix that doesn't involve rooting the phone? Yes, I have contacted my co-worker, and he says the problem didn't exist when he had the phone. I really like the phone so I'd like to find a fix for it.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Doing a DDG search revealed it is a common problem.

Yeah, that's what I've found. Reading several threads and watching YouTube videos hasn't yielded a solution. I'm normally an LG phone guy and have had fantastic luck with them. The co-worker had this phone for sale after he went back to iPhones and I figured I'd give Samsung another try. I had an old S3 and hated it because of all the shell programs Samsung stuffs on their phones. This will be the last Samsung phone I ever own.

I have the Samsung S8+. Looked at the Note 8 but just too pricey.
The S8+ has been flawless, along with the 5 - 6 Samsung phones in the family we have had the past 5 - 6 years.
Last Samsung phone you will ever buy, which you bought used without a warranty...okeedokee.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I have the Samsung S8+. Looked at the Note 8 but just too pricey.
The S8+ has been flawless, along with the 5 - 6 Samsung phones in the family we have had the past 5 - 6 years.
Last Samsung phone you will ever buy, which you bought used without a warranty...okeedokee.

The phone was purchased by my coworker last November so yes, it does have a warranty. I'm looking for a fix without having to send it back.....if possible. I may not even get that far since there is a chance I will ask him to buy the phone back if I can't get this resolved. Having a phone I can't hear on isn't much of a phone.

Mine is bad enough that I normally don't talk on it unless I use the speaker or Bluetooth in the car. I always thought it was just my hearing (which isn't good).

My parents both have galaxy s5 phones and both get intermittent low volume with verizon.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Note 8 with sprint, no issues. Could it also be the signal quality?

Don't think so since the problem occurs in different areas. I can also see the top of a Verizon tower from my backyard so signal strength in, and around, my house is top notch.

If that is a AT&T device even though it is unlocked it may not have all the frequency bands that Verizon may use so you're not getting good network connectivity. Regardless the network signal strength it could be band related.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back