OLM drops immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is my Lucerne, see sig. When I reset the OLM it stays at 100% for only a couple seconds then drops to 99%. Since this is my first car with this type OLM I was just wondering if this is normal.

I know it's not a big issue, just curious if this is normal behavior.

I ignore mine completely. The last oil change I did the OLM came on within 1000 miles. I just go by my usual 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I ignore mine completely. The last oil change I did the OLM came on within 1000 miles. I just go by my usual 10K OCI.

X2, 5K OCI here.

Add me to the ignore the OLM list. UOAs proved I'd be running the oil too long for my liking.

Don't care about OLMs. Oil gets changed in everything, every 6 months or 5000 miles whichever comes first. With my driving these days, 6 months always comes first. Exception is whole house generator. It gets an oil change every year (book calls for once every 2 years). Exception is if the unit runs for more than 24 hours straight (such as after a storm). Then I change the oil immediately after utility power comes back on.

Last edited:
Strange how people can't answer a simple question. The OP didn't ask what your oil change interval is.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Add me to the ignore the OLM list. UOAs proved I'd be running the oil too long for my liking.

OLMs are not for people who get UOAs. I've never heard of a OLM that was not conservative, in before the planned obsolescence comments!

Staying 100% for more than a few minutes would mean an infinite OCI
19.gif

Normal. OLMs are not really the kind of tool people at BITOG rely on, but if you do, it's nothing to worry about if it doesn't stay at 100% for long after a change. Knowing how OEMs think, it's probably deliberate as a check for function; your 99 is in essence a 100.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

OLMs are not for people who get UOAs. I've never heard of a OLM that was not conservative, in before the planned obsolescence comments!

I might not have worded it clearly enough. My OLM isn't conservative, it would be stretching the OCI too long, as confirmed by the UOAs I had done.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a OCI thread but I guess it goes hand in hand with an OLM question.

Thanks all for you comments.

Since there are still many ounces of used oil inside the engine after a drain, it's probably more accurate for the OLM to say 97% immediately after an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back