Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses car lot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses buying off dealer lot ?

You picked the exact options and skipped options you never wanted.
Did dealership try and get you to buy what they had on their lot and make a big fuss about ordering what they don't have ?

Yes, the Pilot I have now. Didn't have anything to do with options, just color for exterior and interior. Back in 1970, I ordered a roadrunner with exactly what I wanted and waited 3 months for it to come in.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses buying off dealer lot ?

You picked the exact options and skipped options you never wanted.

Yup, many times.

Quote:
Did dealership try and get you to buy what they had on their lot and make a big fuss about ordering what they don't have ?
Not at all, but it depends on a particular vehicle, I suppose.

Nope. Most of mine were impulse buys. Then again, I've only bought three new, and one CPO, off a dealer lot. Rest were private sales. One of the new was optioned the way we wanted it (wife didn't like the color but I don't think it was offered), another was how the wife wanted, and third was close enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Nope. Most of mine were impulse buys. Then again, I've only bought three new, and one CPO, off a dealer lot. Rest were private sales.

Yup, same here. Charger came right out of the showroom, JGC was a dealer demo driven by one of the partners and the new truck was fresh off the shipping trailer, hadn't even been PDI'd yet.

I tried to order my 2006 RAV4, but week after week went by and my salesman said my order wasn't being taken by Toyota...I was mystified, but he said they didn't necessarily accept every order that was submitted to them.
I was visiting the showroom to talk about this when a saleslady I hadn't worked with told me "they" were waiting me out until I gave up and bought a Lexus RX350 instead...anybody trying to order a "RAV6" with lots of options was being forced into a waiting game. I took this to mean Toyota was behind it, but I suppose it could have been a game the salesman was playing.
Sometime after this, I got an email from the parent company of the dealership asking me about my "experience" and I unloaded, said I was having a terrible time and driving other vehicles (got close to committing to a V8 Dodge Magnum and was glad I didn't do that) so I wouldn't have to deal with Toyota anymore. This got back to my salesman and he called me with an attitude because my comments were a black mark against him with his boss...told him I didn't care and that they'd better cancel my order. He called again the next day full of apologies and said they found "my" RAV4 on a boat on its way to the US, except it didn't have the premium sound system. I told him that was good enough and the deal was back on.

Then, just before delivery, the salesman called me and said that we need to schedule my appointment to have my car driven to a nearby state to have the heated leather seats installed. It was a huge sticking point with me to have the car delivered with premium OEM seats, but the car on the boat actually had cloth w/ no heat. I was exasperated, but had totally dropped my car search and was a few days from having a car I really wanted...the salesman swore that the materials were all OEM and my car would only be gone for 2 days. I caved.
Of course, I saw a RAV4 with factory heated seats sometime later and the switches for mine were totally different. I'd guess the leather was not Toyota, either. Everything worked fine until I traded the car in 8 years later, at least. Bugged me that some hundreds of the earliest miles on the car were with somebody I didn't know driving...

I bought my next car off the lot. I'd only consider ordering a new car now if the car industry were slumping and they were desperate for business...less likely to play games then, I would think.

Last edited:
I factory ordered my Corvette and the dealer didn't try to talk me into one that they had on their lot because they know that Corvette owners are often very specific in what they want. I would have never found the exact combination that I ordered, as it is red with the light gray interior and that interior is hardly ever paired up with red. Plus I wanted mine with very few options on it too, and most of the Corvettes on dealer lots up here are loaded up with tons of options.

I also factory ordered the first brand new car I ever bought, it was a 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo. At that time it was fall 1987 and the dealers didn't even have any 88 models in stock yet, so they had no choice but to order it.

My 1998 Firebird Formula was also factory ordered. The Formula was a rare model that most dealers didn't bother keeping in stock, they would order loaded up Trans Ams or base model Firebirds instead.

Hey, I just realized that every brand new car that I've ever factory ordered has a model year ending with an 8.
smile.gif

Yes,

My '08 Toyota YAris sedan Pacific Blue.

Took about 2 months to get it. (So I guess it was already somewhere in US...)

No deals on the price or financing (they where flying of the lot, we are talking about 2008 time-wise).

I took it over with 22 miles (my guess it landed in a warehouse somewhere in IN).

Yes. Although it was not "made to order", it was already made and waiting on the factory lot. It just happened that the dealer didn't have that particular trim in his lot, and neither did the nearby dealers. Waited 3 weeks.

I ordered our Impala in February, and received the car approx. 10 weeks later. No problem at all with the dealer. With my build sheet in hand, I got quotes from three dealers. They were pretty close in price, went with the best price which happened to be the dealer who provided the (2) test drives. It was nice to give them the business, because of the test drives. The price was good/fair, I thought.

The Impala's on the lots had the wrong options/colors for me, so ordering was my best option for that car.

I have ordered several. Actually more than several.
I ordered a car for my mother and when it showed up it had 700
miles on it and cigarette ashes in the ashtray.

They just traded for a car that had the options i wanted and
that car was in the 30 day money back guarantee they were having.
Well they got to keep that Turkey.

The only new vehicle I purchased new was the Corolla at that time (2008) the recession was in full swing and I could either order a new Corolla or pay $2500 less for a 4 year old one. Small used cars were selling for a premium.

My wife and I ordered a 2007 Toyota Sienna from Cedric Theel Toyota in Bismarck, North Dakota when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. More recently, I ordered a 2011 Ford F150 and a 2018 Ford F150, both from local small town dealers. I'm particular about how my vehicles are equipped and not in a hurry. I never received pressure or felt the deal was worse than purchasing off the lot.

I have, with my Lightning. As Quattro Pete indicates, it wasn't a problem, but, of course, that may depend on the vehicle. The Lightning wasn't something they were keeping in showrooms for the most part, anyhow, so ordering was fairly necessary.

Yes, I ordered the '95 Dodge Dakota that I'm still driving 223K later. Watched the dealer roll it off the truck from the factory; it took a couple of months. I was one of the few in northwestern Wisconsin at the time who didn't want 4-wheel drive or an automatic transmission. My first vehicle with air conditioning and cruise control, but hand-crank windows.

Yes, I pre-ordered a car many years ago but I typically find that to be more of an issue than it's worth for the kind of car I usually buy. A dealer swap usually gives 80-100% of what I'm looking for without the wait and it would be a rare feature or element of that 20% that would generate a deal breaker.

My last car off the lot ( supposedly the only one in a 75 mile radius with its particular feature set ) had everything I wanted including a $250 multi-function Gentex mirror that I didn't want...but that's turned out to be one of the best parts of the car. So, it's usually a sins of ( manufacturing and sales optioning ) commission vs. sins of omission scenario with what I buy.

Yes

My 2000 Durango, 2015 GC Overland and 2017 SRT Challenger were all ordered

Kind of cool when the window sticker has your name on it. Basically go order what you want, wait 5 weeks and then delivered. get a better deal too because dealer doesnt tie up any cash. with mopar you will get the current rebate with the deposit and if it goes uo, they will honor that. got an extra 500$ off the SRT because they upped the rebate and on the wifes Jeep, my budy got us another 500 on a golden ticket LOL

Twice and no issues.

1st was an 04 G35 6MT sedan. Nobody had one so I ordered Labor Day Weekend 2003, picked up in the middle of January 2004. Longest 4 months of my life but got exactly what I wanted, a loaded 6 speed sedan.

2nd was in February when I ordered my Mustang. Ordered in the middle of Feb and was driving it at middle of April, almost 8 weeks to the day. Didn't get talked into what they had on the lot as it was not even close to what I wanted. Placed the order and I got exactly what I wanted.

If you're OK waiting it's painless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back