1997 Camaro With Power Options Pristine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor across the street died last week at 72. Cancer. A retired math teacher, he liked power and the sounds of power. Has a 97 Camaro in his garage that he special ordered. Not very familiar with Camaros but he told me the vehicle has all the factory power options. 27,000 miles and always garaged. Looked like new to me when he gave me a tour several years ago. Replaced OEM tires recently as dry rot had set in. He took it out occasionally and ran it hard on some of the county blacktop north of us.He was very upfront when he was diagnosed with fourth stage cancer. Only individual I have ever known who came right out and said he was a dead man walking. Told me he had talked to local GM dealer about marketing the Camaro. Someone is going to be the owner of a very pampered, well equipped hot rod. Very nice man and welcomed us to town when we built our home across the street. Wish I could have got to know him better.Entropy envelopes us all, pristine Camaros included. I hope his family has his hog out front of the church tomorrow and one his friends revs it. Fitting send off for a very nice man.
19.gif
19.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I got to retire NOW.

IIRC that gen camaro wasn't very good. Im sure they will have their day.

Didn't that have the new Indian small block in it?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wow I got to retire NOW.

One year too early for the LS1, probably auto trans too I assume. Another old man's creampuff to join the rest at the bloated top end of the 4th gen market sitting on CL or ebay for years.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Wow I got to retire NOW.

One year too early for the LS1, probably auto trans too I assume. Another old man's creampuff to join the rest at the bloated top end of the 4th gen market sitting on CL or ebay for years.

Ya the LT-1 in that year was um, I guess ok for its time. But compared to anything available now or even one model year later it is disappointing at best.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Has a 97 Camaro in his garage that he special ordered. Not very familiar with Camaros but he told me the vehicle has all the factory power options. 27,000 miles and always garaged. Looked like new to me when he gave me a tour several years ago.

This thread is useless without pics!!!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Wow I got to retire NOW.

?? on the floor.

6-speed, LT1 unless it was one of the very few (100 total) 30th Anniversary SS LT4 cars. Now that would be something extra special. Might I ask what color?

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
6-speed, LT1 unless it was one of the very few (100 total) 30th Anniversary SS LT4 cars. Now that would be something extra special. Might I ask what color?
WHITE.

Retire now? Statistics say you'll die within four years. Cut back your schedule-keep working-buy that Camaro-bolt on a blower-enjoy life!

I had a '97 Camaro Z28 with the LT1/6-speed. I loved it. I've never driven a car where the engine and trans worked so well together. It was a pleasure going through the gears, even in regular commuter traffic. But I had to put in the 1-4 skip-shift eliminator.

Not many "Power Options" for a 4th Gen Camaro, Power windows & Power drivers seat......A TON of them were optioned that way! Crank windows is probably more rare than power.

4th Gen's will never have the collect-ability that 1st Gen's have, And as someone already stated, Unless it's a LT4 SS......Nothing special about it other than being low mileage.

IIRC that gen camaro wasn't very good.

They're actually pretty good cars, You just have to know how to work on them. Probably not many cars harder to do Plugs & Wire's on than a 4th Gen LT1 F-Body.

People tear them up, wreak them, And abuse them in general.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Not many "Power Options" for a 4th Gen Camaro, Power windows & Power drivers seat......A TON of them were optioned that way! Crank windows is probably more rare than power.

4th Gen's will never have the collect-ability that 1st Gen's have, And as someone already stated, Unless it's a LT4 SS......Nothing special about it other than being low mileage.

Hagerty agrees but they say to hold on to your 4th gen Trans Am.

Hagerty

Hagerty Firebird VS Camaro

From the April 2018 Article

"While both cars are outperforming the market as a whole, buyer interest for Firebirds is up 27 percent, but just 5 percent for Camaros. The average sale price at auction for Firebirds is up 24 percent, and only 9 percent for Camaros."

They always have despite what BITOG says.
smile.gif
People like them. Having said that never buy a car as an investment.

You don't have any pictures? I am personally done with LT1s. I just didn't like working on them. The LS1 cars are still a good bang for the buck with average 1/4 miles times in the 13.50's for the Auto cars and 13.20's for the 6 speed cars and 12's are so simple with them.

They're actually pretty good cars, You just have to know how to work on them. Probably not many cars harder to do Plugs & Wire's on than a 4th Gen LT1 F-Body.

I drove a used one years ago. Didn't like it. It may have been hurt. I've had/built a '66 355 Chevy II Nova, a '74 327 Vega GT, a 396SS '67 Chevelle. All 4 row it yourself gears 'cept the Vega. I drove a new second gen Z. Slow but killer handling; Liked it MUCH better than the 4th. Gen 4 seems like a "Fairy" car. Past peak design for GM AFAIK.

I drove a used one years ago. Didn't like it. It may have been hurt. I've had/built a '66 355 Chevy II Nova, a '74 327 Vega GT, a 396SS '67 Chevelle. All 4 row it yourself gears 'cept the Vega. I drove a new second gen Z. Slow but killer handling; Liked it MUCH better than the 4th. Gen 4 seems like a "Fairy" car. Past peak design for GM AFAIK.

I can't speak to the condition of the 4th gen you drove, But.....A 4th Gen will kill a 2nd Gen in the handling department, Tall spindles, Coil Over's, Better suspension geometry, Wider tires, Rack & Pinion.

They weigh about the same & weight distribution is similar. Neither being a very ridged platform. Both need Subframe connectors to stiffen the chassis.
2nd Gen....(Good weld-in ones) is a good 12 hour job.
4th Gen....2 hours tops.

Not that I'm trying to convince you of anything.....We all have opinions. If it wasn't for the great aftermarket support & the fact LSx engines bolt right in.....I wouldn't own a 4th Gen.

I prefer a good recirc. ball. I don't like upper A-arms mounted in the unibody and the lowers on the subframe. I didn't spend a lot of time in either car.
I don't like flashy cars I like sleepers.

If you like what you got - that's what matters - wear your Bow Tie proud!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back