Opinions: These small displacement turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the new era of gas engines. Some vehicles have a larger 4 cylinder turbo available like in the Accord.
The 2.0T is an option over the 1.5T on certain models.
The 2019 Silverado will have a 2.7L turbo 4.
My wife's Audi performs just fine with the 2.0L turbo despite having all wheel drive.

The US is finally catching up!! Small displacement turbocharged engines have been mainstream in almost every country for decades EXCEPT the US!!

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
The Future or a
Temporary Bridge to the Future

Temporary Bridge to the Future certainly but a much better option than a big V8, personally I love a nice turbo 4 banger or high tech, multi valve DOHC injected straight 6 turbo or not.

55,000 miles on my 1.0 3-cylinder Ford EcoBoost Focus. I’d buy another Ford 3-cylinder EcoBoost in a heartbeat. Excellent engine.

Tows my 5x8 enclosed with ease, and will do 50+ MPG when you want it to.

Last edited:
Polaris RZR and Can-Am both offering below 1000cc engines turbocharged sidebysides. Its the future of offroading.

I will probably buy the new RZR S turbo. $25K no ac, no heat, no windshield or back glass, half a door, no stereo..UGG.

My wife's 1.5 turbo Civic easily moves itself around with authority when asked to. It's a long-stroke motor for low-end torque with a turbo for midrange power.

Japan has been doing small displacement turboes for a long time. However, the American public will do 7k or 10k OCIs and that will ruin the engines.

TGDI with an extra side of LSPI
57.gif

Turbo, DI, regular gas, and 0w20 do not play well together, people!
31.gif

They should make the turbos only operate above a certain rpm threshold, only when the engine is warm, and there should be a turbo timer. That might take care of the LSPI. You don't need the turbos at parking lot speeds.

Company car in Europe is a MB C180, 1.6 liter turbo with 6 speed manual. Over 40mpg when gentle but close to 140 mph on autobahn(not at the same time! Ha ha). I lament the loss of limited slip differentials and total control of stability systems...progress?....sigh.

The smaller the displacement, the more noticeable the turbo lag is typically. Even most 2.0 turbo engines suck at this, but have gotten better compared to 20 years ago. For someone who is accustomed to immediate response of an NA engine, this can be hard to get used to.

I had a loaner 2018 A4 a few weeks ago. The engine was nice once at higher RPMs and on boost, but the lag was still noticeable.

If given a choice between a turbo 4 and an NA 6, I'll take the latter.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Turbos have been mainstream for almost 30 years.

Wish they'd bring back the decals that used to come with the turbo though.

Thinking of getting this decal for my 2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T

Originally Posted By: E365
55,000 miles on my 1.0 3-cylinder Ford EcoBoost Focus. I’d buy another Ford 3-cylinder EcoBoost in a heartbeat. Excellent engine.

Tows my 5x8 enclosed with ease, and will do 50+ MPG when you want it to.

I drove one of these engines for a day from a dealer friend of mine in a new Ford B Max with a 1.0L 120HP Ecoboost and a stick, I hated the thought of the 3 cyl and was predisposed to disliking it going by the previous drive of a 100 HP version, I was wrong.

The engine performed well, smooth and quiet, it did everything well, the engine was fun to drive and likes to rev, I cant speak to long term reliability but if its halfway decent built I wouldn't have any problem owning it.

Small is the trend.

Look at smart phones, disk drives, they both used to huge. Now miniature, and not serviceable.

There is the big part, OE do not want Chinese ripping off their designs, they want that money. Smaller, higher RPM higher temperature turbos, much harder to make, and more efficient.

Rod

an engine is just an air pump!! more air add fuel + go more!!! with the introduction of DI turbos put out even more power sooner, + a lot depends on tuning with quicker boost + proper fueling + timing lag is a thing of the past except maybe very small engines. OE's tune conservatively but a quick look on goapr.com will show you whats left behind!!! my traded jetta + not TT both 1.8t's 2001 variety are APR tuned, 200,000 on my traded jetta with a reliable APR tune, only 5x,XXX on the TT roadster a summer fun car!! mpg's + performance as needed thats a well tuned turbo!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back