Boat Trim Sending Unit compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new-to-me 1985 boat, with a 1985 90HP Johnson V4 outboard. It needs a new trim sending unit, part number 583358. It was discontinued a couple years ago and I have only found one place that has it, but it is $180 shipped (about double the price it was just a couple years ago before being discontinued).

I've seen there is a part number 583359, and have read most of these are interchangeable with the only major differences between all of these sender units being some have a ground wire (that isn't needed on all). Anyone know about these motors and know for sure?

Thanks,.

Are you sure the sending unit is bad? Usually it's a connection problem. For that kind of money I'd just look back at the motor instead!

I found a new one at a large dealer about 100 miles away. Got lucky, as it isnt even on ebay. I replaced it today and now the gauge works. It only goes 3/4 up on the gauge, though, so there must be some way to calibrate it.

I also replaced the rectifier/regulator and that fixed the charging system and tachometer not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back