Old furnace fan speed toggle switch? Squeaky fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the fan motor bearings were squeaking before winter I oiled them and it stopped squeaking

Now I was gone for a week and fan didn't spin.
I come home and they are really squeaky. Oiled again and they are quiet.

I'm thinking I should just buy a new motor?
Anyway to decipher what I currently have?
Fasco 8557?

I think it is a 1/2 HP?

Also I noticed that there is a capacitor and a manual fan switch wired in line between the furnace board and the motor.

It is and has been on the slower setting I think for the last 2 years.
Should it be toggled to the high setting for AC?

Last edited:
I don't know how much these motors cost, but I've had motors rebuilt before. There are outfits around that rebuild electric motors. I'm just suggesting an option.

If you wanted to try it's pretty easy to pull those type motors apart and use some red motor grease in the ends.

I have a two speed fan but run it on low all the time. The AC unit is too big and doesn't run long enough with it on high.

blower motors are pretty cheap these day. under 100 usually. i would replace it and keep the old one as a spare. get a new cap also. its good to have a spare in case its 10 below outside on a weekend and your fan motor decides to leave this world

You may or may not be able to remove that blower without a puller. You need to be able to split the motor case to soak the bushing wick if there are no external oil ports.

Even if you buy a new motor, that blower wheel is really dirty which greatly impacts its ability to move air. When those little fins get filled with junk like that they no longer act as airfoils and CFM drops. There's also evidence of black mold growing on the housing and inside the cabinet. That's not good. Also time to clean the evaporator coil if you have air-cond.

You'll notice a world of difference....

I wish you lived closer. I replaced one in my AC unit and used it for 1-2 months before the main pump went out and had to get a new AC. Like new blower motor for sale. Ed

1075 RPM, 115V, 4 speed.
Grainger, for the ones who get it done.

Remember to sand and lube the shaft really good otherwise you may catch [censored], capacitor also.

Last edited:
These motors tend to be pretty generic. I changed ours out the winter before last, and used the existing brackets to adapt the new motor. It was not a problem. (It's the 3rd motor - they last about 12 years for me.)

Ours has an external relay which turns the fan speed to High when the furnace calls for heat. The rest of the time it runs on Low. (We have an aftermarket HRV which uses the furnace plenum for circulation, so the furnace fan has to run full-time for the HRV to be effective.) The relay wiring is straight-forward. Let me know if you want photos.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
blower motors are pretty cheap these day. under 100 usually. i would replace it and keep the old one as a spare. get a new cap also. its good to have a spare in case its 10 below outside on a weekend and your fan motor decides to leave this world

You're absolutely right - both of mine have failed in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back