2007 Nissan Xtera Transmission interchangeability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra with no reverse. At first I was looking to do a rebuild myself, but I just can't find the time. So, instead, I was looking to pick one up from a scrap yard and drop in. It seems Nissan played some really weird games with this transmission, and I can't find a straight answer anywhere (including Nissan Xterra forums). Can anyone here help?

It appears Nissan used basically the same 5 speed auto transmission from 2005-2015 in the Xterra, and maybe the Frontier. They all look the same on the outside anyways...but it appears there are differences in the valve body and ECU?

2005-2008 may be interchangeable?
2005-2007, and 2007-2008 interchangeable?
2009-2015 interchangeable?

I have also read you can interchange any of them if you keep your original valve body and ECU.

Any insight? On the xterra forum the response I got was basically that nobody knows.

It may have been made by a different company, you could start there. My car has a Jatco trans, apparently the same trans was also in some Mazda models.

I wonder what the differences are, different programming for pickup trucks v SUVs? Different engine choices, GVWR or just softer shifts and a fuel economy tune for the SUVs?

I can see why you are having trouble, there are not too many of those Xterras left at least around here. Time for a manual swap, methinks!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
It may have been made by a different company, you could start there. My car has a Jatco trans, apparently the same trans was also in some Mazda models.

I wonder what the differences are, different programming for pickup trucks v SUVs? Different engine choices, GVWR or just softer shifts and a fuel economy tune for the SUVs?

I can see why you are having trouble, there are not too many of those Xterras left at least around here. Time for a manual swap, methinks!

It is a Jatco RE5RO5A - I have the rebuild manual.
Manual says it covers the following...

well, according to wikipedia, this tranny was used in a LOT of vehicles. If all it takes is an ECU/valve body swap, it looks like there are lots of choices!

Use www.car-part.com and it'll show you. You put in your car, what part you're looking for and zip code, then it'll show junk yard availability for that part and some info on it. Look on the left column as you scroll down and flip through pages, I saw Frontier and Pathfinder pop up.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Use www.car-part.com and it'll show you. You put in your car, what part you're looking for and zip code, then it'll show junk yard availability for that part and some info on it. Look on the left column as you scroll down and flip through pages, I saw Frontier and Pathfinder pop up.

Yes, I have done that, but it will only show transmissions that match that exact year...almost like there were year to year changes. 2007 transmissions are expensive because many died from a tranny cooler/rad leak. The newer transmissions didn't have that problem, and also had an improved reverse gear snap ring (part that broke on mine). I can get a very new transmission with a fraction of the miles and less than $1K if I can verify that I can get it to work on my older model Xterra. By everything I can tell, it should "fit", I just need to make sure it would work with a simple ECU and valve body swap (both are co-located in the pan, and it looks very easy).

Paging clinebarger!

They put that trans behind a lot of vehicles, wow. You would think the 4.0s would be identical, you would have to check part numbers.

You can interchange any RE5R05A IF precautions are taken......

*If you have a 4wd....Buy a 4wd transmission!
*The TCM is matched to the vehicle.
*The Valve Body is matched to the vehicle & the Torque Converter.

*TCC Apply Pressure is regulated to different pressures depending on the application, The Valve Body MUST match the vehicle & torque converter.

*The "Shift Adaptives" must be reset with a capable scan tool.

*If your not comfortable with using the original converter.....Have it rebuilt.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Paging clinebarger!

They put that trans behind a lot of vehicles, wow. You would think the 4.0s would be identical, you would have to check part numbers.

You can interchange any RE5R05A IF precautions are taken......

*If you have a 4wd....Buy a 4wd transmission!
*The TCM is matched to the vehicle.
*The Valve Body is matched to the vehicle & the Torque Converter.

*TCC Apply Pressure is regulated to different pressures depending on the application, The Valve Body MUST match the vehicle & torque converter.

*The "Shift Adaptives" must be reset with a capable scan tool.

*If your not comfortable with using the original converter.....Have it rebuilt.

THANK YOU!!!!
Sent you an IM - hoping to share this on another board.

I have a 07 Pathfinder and have similar questions to this thread. I understand that the Pathfinder has the same transmission as this Xterra. I bought a used TCM and attached it to the valve body and reinstalled in the Pathfinder. I receive no error codes. The part numbers from new TCM match the one that was removed.

I brought it to a Nissan dealership and they say they can't program it because they can't "bring up the part number". They're using Consult IIIplus. They said they tried programming and reprogramming.

Another dealer that I called (they didn't actually look at the car) said that the TCM is "matched to the valve body" so that installing a TCM on a valve body won't work.

Does anyone have any insight on why programming this is such a puzzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back