2 stroke engine oil comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a variety of small garden power tools. RedMax leaf blower, Stihl chainsaw and McCullough line trimmer.
In the past I used Echo Power Blend X 2 stroke engine oil, pure synthetic with stabilizers. Meets or exceeds ISO-EGD & JASO FD.
I am curious if Walmart brand Super Tech Universal 2-cycle Engine Oil or Super Tech Outboard TC-W3 2-cycle is a reasonable substitution.
Each of Super Tech oils specify suitable for lawn mowers. line trimmers and chain saws.

no. first off you dont want tc-w3 in air powered OPE.
If you read the find print they will usually say "recommended for all equipment requiring api tc-w3" as if chainsaws say that(never).

the other oil is api TC which is a less stringent spec than JASO FD
it would be ok in a pinch but it is not as good.

Just get echo(blend or syn) from home depot if you want something easy to find.

OK thanks to all for the info and speedy response.
Will stick with Echo as suggested.

TC-W3 spec is for ashless, water cooled outboard engines. NOT air cooled OPE.

It works great in low doses in your diesel truck or even in your gasoline vehicle but isn't so good for OPE. ECHO oil is pretty good stuff as is the STIHL syn variety.

Yep. The Lawn and Garden section at Walmart has more 2-stroke oils to choose from than in the Automotive section.
The cheapest FD rated oil is Poulan Pro in the small 50:1 bottles at just under $1.50 each.

Find a BITOG bud who's already bought the Amsoil (or is it AMSOIL?) discount, and get a quart of Saber Professional for $13 or so. Use half as much (I've done 80:1 and 100:1 in my snowblower and old-school moped, and they've been fine with it for a couple of years). I'm not an Amsoil marketer, but the stuff seems pretty good. Flame if you must.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

It works great in low doses in your diesel truck or even in your gasoline vehicle but isn't so good for OPE. ECHO oil is pretty good stuff as is the STIHL syn variety.

Nope, don't do that. TC-W3 has no business being in the fuel system of your gasoline or diesel truck. If you want to use additives, use the ones specified for diesel trucks or gasoline cars. TC-W3 is meant for 2 stroke Marine engines which have far less complexity and emissions equipment compared to road vehicles.

Wal-Mart's SuperTech is fine but you should be running synthetic.

As stated, TC-W3 is used for water cooled outboard motors, but also Toro snowblowers. I was told also LawnBoy mowers but not sure.

From my understanding TC is the proper rating for air cooled or extreme conditions. You will notice that jet Skis and Performance watercraft also have a TC rating, not TCW3 and then that is graded by the FB,FC and FD with FD being the highest grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
No! The outboard oil is completely wrong for your application. Stick with the echo oil or one comparable.

Why not? I've been using TCW3 in my weed eater forever. Works perfect and has lasted about 20 years that way.

Also I personally would Never run a 80 or 100 to 1 ratio. I don't even run 50:1 in my Echo power equipment. I run 32:1 in all the lawn equipment including the Lawnboys and chainsaws.
I have never had any two stroke issues and my equipment lasts. My one lawnboy is in the 80s. My two I use every week are 1996. More oil is better.
Those lean ratios are all about the EPA and meeting pollution requirements. Want it to last, let it smoke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Also I personally would Never run a 80 or 100 to 1 ratio. I don't even run 50:1 in my Echo power equipment. I run 32:1 in all the lawn equipment including the Lawnboys and chainsaws.
I have never had any two stroke issues and my equipment lasts. My one lawnboy is in the 80s. My two I use every week are 1996. More oil is better.
Those lean ratios are all about the EPA and meeting pollution requirements. Want it to last, let it smoke.

Not quite. Oil technology is far superior to the 1980s or even 10 years ago. I have many customers who use 2-stroke equipment commercially every day with zero oil-related issues on 50:1. Many use the Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, and even the cheap box store branded 50:1 oils with no problems. A lot of newer engines have non-adjustable carburetors as well, so if you run a richer oil mix the engine won't have as much power and may even stumble upon throttling up if running 32:1.

Agree. I have easily 400hrs on a husqvarna 223L using nothing but 32:1- I changed my plug this spring just because i felt sorry for it.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Nope, don't do that. TC-W3 has no business being in the fuel system of your gasoline or diesel truck. If you want to use additives, use the ones specified for diesel trucks or gasoline cars. TC-W3 is meant for 2 stroke Marine engines which have far less complexity and emissions equipment compared to road vehicles.

Gonna have to argue you're way wrong on this one! I and MANY others have proven time and time again that low doses of TC-W3 2T oils in both gas and diesel has increased MPG, lubes the top end, extends injector life and many other benefits. My 05 PowerStroke loves it, it noticeably quiets the rattle down and makes the truck run much smoother. I overdose with the Pennzoil outboard stuff usually a quart to a full tank of fuel (25 gallons)

Ask the Cummins guys how much this helps the old injection pumps live on the 12V motors!

BTW- I have NO emissions equipment on my truck anymore (the dreaded 6.0)... its been gone a LONG time, hence why it still runs perfect to this day!

Not quite. Oil technology is far superior to the 1980s or even 10 years ago. I have many customers who use 2-stroke equipment commercially every day with zero oil-related issues on 50:1. Many use the Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, and even the cheap box store branded 50:1 oils with no problems. A lot of newer engines have non-adjustable carburetors as well, so if you run a richer oil mix the engine won't have as much power and may even stumble upon throttling up if running 32:1.

Adding more oil may make a richer oil to fuel ratio, however, it also creates a leaner fuel to air mixture. To what extent this lean-ness has on engine operation is nebulous to me. I've got old two cycle motorcycles and snowmobiles with oil injection. From what I've read, the oil delivery with oil injection can vary from as much as 10:1 to 70:1 or higher. If carburetors can manage that much variance with no negative effects on the engine, I'd say that adjusting the oil to one's personal preference will have no ill effects on the engine provided there's sufficient oil.

I use good quality conventional oil and run relatively high oil ratios in equipment designed to run at 100:1 and 50:1 with no obvious effects other than a bit more smoke on start up. Once at running temperatures, there's very little smoke.

My 50:1 Echo & Stihl trimmers get 32:1 TC3. My 100:1 Yamaha outboards get 70:1 TCW3. Some equipment such as my water pump and chainsaws get 25:1 TC3 which is the designated ratio. Never heard of a two cycle engine dying from too much oil and I've never seen one run poorly if the oil ratio is reasonably increased.

Bottom line is that a two cycle engine will not experience catastrophic failure caused by too much oil. On the other hand, an engine with insufficient oil will.

Gonna have to argue you're way wrong on this one! I and MANY others have proven time and time again that low doses of TC-W3 2T oils in both gas and diesel has increased MPG, lubes the top end, extends injector life and many other benefits. My 05 PowerStroke loves it, it noticeably quiets the rattle down and makes the truck run much smoother. I overdose with the Pennzoil outboard stuff usually a quart to a full tank of fuel (25 gallons)

Ask the Cummins guys how much this helps the old injection pumps live on the 12V motors!

BTW- I have NO emissions equipment on my truck anymore (the dreaded 6.0)... its been gone a LONG time, hence why it still runs perfect to this day!

Yeah in an ancient technology diesel like a Cummins it's no big deal, but I wouldn't do that in modern diesels. I also wouldn't advertise on a public forum that you have deleted the emissions equipment on your truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back