Pirelli Cinturato Strada Sport A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this evening I experienced an unrepairable flat on my Prius. My full replacement road hazard warranty should cover this tire. However, the three remaining tires are down to 4/32" so I am considering the purchase of four new tires. The tire shop I frequent has a promotion for $120 off Michelin, Pirelli and Continental tires.

The car is currently wearing a set of Michelin Premier A/S tires. This is my second set of them. I like everything about these tires except for the wear (30-40k/set) and the price ($157/tire). I am open to trying other brands but at the same time, would not mind spending the money for another set of Premiers. The tire size is 215/45-17 and I prefer to stay with the V speed rating or higher.

The Pirelli Cinturato Strada Sport A/S is a fairly new tire for Discount/America's Tire and appears to be based off of the Pirelli P Zero Plus. Does anyone have any experience on this tire or any other reasonable options?

I have not however, I have loved every Pirelli tire that I have purchased...LOVED!

OTOH(2 questions), if you can fit a full size spare tire in the space saver spare compartment (this would require the purchase of another-USED-Prius Wheel), did you ever consider getting the "unrepairable tire" replaced under the RHW and in addition to buying 4 new Michelin tires for a total of 5 "NEW" tires?

Then doing a 5 tire rotation and the advantage of having that full size spare tire in case you have another blowout?
smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
Not this tire but I have run many a P Zero and love them tires. IMO Pirelli is everything Michelin claims and wishes it could be without the over charge for the name. For my money Michelin can shove their overrated and overpriced donuts up their backsides sideways.

You should also be able to get a pro rated mileage credit if they are indeed at 4/32" or lower (at least discount tire will)

Originally Posted By: Rand
You should also be able to get a pro rated mileage credit if they are indeed at 4/32" or lower (at least discount tire will)

This.^^^^^

The Discount Tire store I deal with (I think America's Tire has the same ownership) has given amazing discounts on tires that did not last like they should have, or allowed "trade in" on the remaining ones. It made buying a new set very appealing.

One caveat: I was going from Michelins to another set of Michelins (the Premiers like you have now). Whether that generosity of allowances would be the case if I went with another brand, e.g., Pirelli, I do not know. But visit their store and see.

Like Trav, I may go with P7's next time around.

HTH and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eagle23

This.^^^^^

The Discount Tire store I deal with (I think America's Tire has the same ownership) has given amazing discounts on tires that did not last like they should have, or allowed "trade in" on the remaining ones. It made buying a new set very appealing.

One caveat: I was going from Michelins to another set of Michelins (the Premiers like you have now). Whether that generosity of allowances would be the case if I went with another brand, e.g., Pirelli, I do not know. But visit their store and see.

HTH and keep us posted.

My discount tire let me do it and go to a different brand.

I went from michelin defenders that wore out in 25000miles to continentials made 60$ bucks after the rebates and credit.

I would definitely consider those pirelli tires in your situation.

Can't go wrong with Pirellis. Both of the Dodges in my sig have Pirellis on them and both have been great so far. The Durango has a set Pirelli Scorpion Verde & the Journey has Cinturato P7 all season. I have no complaints on wear, wet traction, or road noise. I've never owned a bad set of Pirellis

If you value comfort I suggest trying the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. They come in your desired size / speed rating.

Originally Posted By: nap
If you value comfort I suggest trying the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. They come in your desired size / speed rating.

Fantastic tires, love everything about them on my VW and M35X

What about the General Tire AltiMAX RT43 these have been highly rated and are supposed to be quiet and comfortable. I am considering these for my wifes Elantra Limited.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tiresWillFit=true&tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=145VR7AMRT43

Great tire, I use them often when Pirelli doesn't have the size. Good tire in all seasons and last well, nice smooth ride and confortable, inexpensive too.

While we are on the subject, I would like some input on this. The Elantra limited takes the 215/45/17 tires.
Pirelli P7 Plus in that side are $137 each at DT

The 225/50 R17 94V SL BSW P7 plus is only $97 so a huge savings.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-cinturato-p7-all-season-plus/p/14753

Also when we tested the elentra we rode a base model and it road better with the taller aspect tires. I got the Elantra for my wife's car for commuting and taking trips, I already have a sports car so would like a softer ride.

It's like $40 less per tire.

What do you think?

Great idea if the tires fit.
Usual issues with speedometer showing lower speed than actual, if you(or your wife) are OK with this.

Next time drive the exact model you buy. Wheels/tires do make big difference in comfort and performance.

Krzys

Pirelli makes great tires, for sure. Put the Cinturato P7 A/S Plus on wifes previous Mazda and she loved the comfort and dry road handling.

I love the Nokian Entyre 2.0. Probably an excellent fit for your Prius, as Nokian markets it as low rolling resistance. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-entyre-2-0/p/25060

Try them out for thirty days, Nokian has a thirty day buy and try happiness guarantee on them.

Originally Posted By: eagle23

This.^^^^^

HTH and keep us posted.

My discount tire let me do it and go to a different brand.

I went from michelin defenders that wore out in 25000miles to continentials made 60$ bucks after the rebates and credit.

I would definitely consider those pirelli tires in your situation.

Good to know they will do that across brands.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Great tire, I use them often when Pirelli doesn't have the size. Good tire in all seasons and last well, nice smooth ride and confortable, inexpensive too.

I only wish Pirelli would adjust their model names a bit. When I went to get tires for the G37 last time, Pirelli was on my list. However, the run flat and non run flat products had the same model name and numbers, but with different part numbers, which totally confused the tire people. They were only able to get access to the run flats, and they were prohibitively expensive.

They're okay if they check part numbers, but the quotes didn't have part numbers listed, just the generic model name/number, and that applied across all the tire makes. When comparing on the Tire Rack, it was easy because they differentiated between the run flat version and the regular version right in the description. It seemed to be a weakness in the dealer's part system, which probably tries to not get into information overload, to say the least.

Even if you check the Pirelli site to find the tires for my vehicle, they say the Cinturato P7 is a choice, with or without run flat technology. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back