Realistic Treadlife Expectations for Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son goes to college in central Washington. We live in western Washington, and during the winter, Snoqualmie Pass can be treacherous. Lots of times WashDOT says 'traction tires required except for 4WD/AWD vehicles'.

We just got my son a 2015 Ford Escape S, 2.5L, 2WD for school. His old 95 Buick probably wouldn't have survived the trip over the pass.

So, for him to come home at Thanksgiving/Christmas/Semester Breaks where Snoqualmie Pass can have snow, I am thinking of getting him some dedicated studless snow tires for year round use. He will probably only put 5-6k miles per year on the vehicle, and he has two years of college left.

What is a reasonable treadlife expectation for year round use on dedicated snow tires?

The other option I am looking at is getting him some all season tires with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol on them.

Not really wanting to go the route of a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter due to lack of storage space at home.

TIA

Not long for winter tires in the summer. You may want to check some tire stores, some let you store your winter tires. Otherwise if you don't have the room, get all season tires. Have him check the weather before driving, if it's bad, don't go.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Not long for winter tires in the summer. You may want to check some tire stores, some let you store your winter tires. Otherwise if you don't have the room, get all season tires. Have him check the weather before driving, if it's bad, don't go.

I wish it were that easy - the 'don't go' part. His school basically kicks him out of the dorm within 24 hours of his last final exam, so in December, he HAS to be out of the dorm.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I wish it were that easy - the 'don't go' part. His school basically kicks him out of the dorm within 24 hours of his last final exam, so in December, he HAS to be out of the dorm.

I remember those days, I recall same story. Only back then I would have just driven on half bald a/s and not thought twice of it.

Snow's won't take well to hot roads. But if it's mostly parked in the summer, or lightly driven, then who cares. Worst case, you have to buy a second set halfway through. I'm doubtful that would be required, but IMO that is worst case scenario.

How much ice? I wonder if Winterforce might be the ticket.

The other option I am looking at is getting him some all season tires with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol on them.
Not really wanting to go the route of a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter due to lack of storage space at home.
TIA

Just so that you look like you know, these tires are not all seasons, but "All Weather" tires and they do have the mountain peak which shows that they are suitable for winter use. They'll do a very good job under most circumstances, but if you get into deep snow they won't do the job of dedicated winter tires. Only you knows what is best for your conditions, but we are also talking of life & death in the winter mountain pass.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
TIA

Just so that you look like you know, these tires are not all seasons, but "All Weather" tires and they do have the mountain peak which shows that they are suitable for winter use. They'll do a very good job under most circumstances, but if you get into deep snow they won't do the job of dedicated winter tires. Only you knows what is best for your conditions, but we are also talking of life & death in the winter mountain pass.

Well, except for unusually heavy snowfalls, the pass is pretty much maintained, but if WADOT posts traction tires required, then the state patrol can ticket him with just all season/all weather tires unless they have the 3PMS symbol on them.

In my experience and on a lightwieight, FWD vehicle, Michelin Xi will last quite a while even when driven all year round. They’re unfun though to drive on dry pavement and will have reduced handling and stopping distance when compared to all seasons.

You may also want to explore the so called “performance winter” tires like the Michelin Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero or Bridgestone LM series. I found the Alpin PA3 to have decent behaviour in summer too.

Do they allow chains? I'm wondering if a cheap set might work here. Undesirable but then it might open up tire choices. Tire chains or whatever the steel wire ones are.

Also I would inquire with the college what is their dorm policy during a winter storm. If they kick the kids out while the Public Alert radios are blaring, they’re prime sueball and newspaper material.

Originally Posted By: nap
Also I would inquire with the college what is their dorm policy during a winter storm. If they kick the kids out while the Public Alert radios are blaring, they’re prime sueball and newspaper material.

Ellensburg gets show and they handle it well. The pass is quite a distance away and elevated at 3022 ft so the weather is quite different between the two at times.

Both my brother & I have ran the GY Assurance Tripletred tires in light snow and ice storms, they wear like iron and have THE BEST rain performance, and passable winter performance, and have the 3 mountain peak winter rating. Not sure I would be climbing the Donner (nor Soqualmie) Pass in a winter storm with them, though!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Do they allow chains? I'm wondering if a cheap set might work here. Undesirable but then it might open up tire choices. Tire chains or whatever the steel wire ones are.

I was looking at the Auto Sock system.

Ellensburg gets show and they handle it well. The pass is quite a distance away and elevated at 3022 ft so the weather is quite different between the two at times.

How about an emergency fund and instructions that, in case of winter storm in the pass area, he should rather spend a couple of nights at a hotel rather than risking it?

The chains is also not a bad idea in case of surprise winter events.

How about an emergency fund and instructions that, in case of winter storm in the pass area, he should rather spend a couple of nights at a hotel rather than risking it?

The chains is also not a bad idea in case of surprise winter events.

Yes, that is always an option, but just wanting to explore winter traction avenues with tires.

I am really liking the looks of the Assurance WeatherReady tires.

The problem with running winter tires in this state, is that you may only get a total of one week where you need them. The rest of the time, you would be compromising dry and wet traction in warmer weather.

Last edited:
I don’t think the sock would help with snow. Maybe with hard, glazed surfaces, but not with fresh or half packed snow. If the road maintenance guys at the pass are decent, they would spread salt as soon as there’s any sign of glazing, so the sock is not needed anyway.

I don’t think the sock would help with snow. Maybe with hard, glazed surfaces, but not with fresh or half packed snow. If the road maintenance guys at the pass are decent, they would spread salt as soon as there’s any sign of glazing, so the sock is not needed anyway.

The socks would be for when WA DOT says chains required if he should be traveling during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back