2016+ Cherokee 2.4L 4x4 research...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to look into these newer Cherokees. They look very nice and they have a traditional transmission and MPFI engine with a lower compression ratio.

Are there any issues to watch out for with these Jeeps? Are they DIY friendly for the most part? Is 184hp adequate for 4x4?

Thanks for any advice or feedback you can give.

One good test drive would answer most of that with the exception of longevity.
In the end it doesn't matter if I love a vehicle. In the end you have to live with it. Why let others skew your decisions?

They use the 9 speed ZF which I've read and heard were problematic, unlike the 8 speed used in the GC which is highly praised. I'm sure I'll catch some heat from happy owners. There is a lot of info out there about it.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
In the end it doesn't matter if I love a vehicle. In the end you have to live with it. Why let others skew your decisions?

Not asking for them to form my own opinion. I'm asking to know about weak spots or things to look for. I can't really find much on the jeep forums about these so I can't tell if people generally like them with no issues or if all the complaints are stored somewhere else online. Never hurts to get feedback. Someone might dislike something I wouldn't have thought about.

For example, before buying my T&C, it was advised on here to avoid 2014 an older models because of undersized brakes. That was a valuable piece of advice that helped me.

As far as DIY goes,it complicated because normal stuff is easy,but any check engine lights or 4wd issues they have to go the dealer,they have some interesting electronics on them,mainly because fiat has a part in it.But that being said,I see the some early 2.4 Cherokees with 100+k with no major issues,but honestly what brand new car doesn't have complex computers

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Zee09

Not asking for them to form my own opinion. I'm asking to know about weak spots or things to look for. I can't really find much on the jeep forums about these so I can't tell if people generally like them with no issues or if all the complaints are stored somewhere else online. Never hurts to get feedback. Someone might dislike something I wouldn't have thought about.

For example, before buying my T&C, it was advised on here to avoid 2014 an older models because of undersized brakes. That was a valuable piece of advice that helped me.

True. Sometimes too much feedback paralyses people...….lol
I never had much luck with Jeep even back in the AMC days.
Bad mpg and low reliability, but hey things change!

My wife owns a 2016 jeep Cherokee limited. We live in area with lots of hills and a test drive made the 4 cylinder engine feel under powered. We opted for the 6 cyl. She loves it. The trans was an issue for the 14 and 15 model years. Software and hardware changes have corrected these issues. Ours has been completely reliable.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
My wife owns a 2016 jeep Cherokee limited. We live in area with lots of hills and a test drive made the 4 cylinder engine feel under powered. We opted for the 6 cyl. She loves it. The trans was an issue for the 14 and 15 model years. Software and hardware changes have corrected these issues. Ours has been completely reliable.

Yup.

The main issue was the 9 speed auto having some teething issues for the first few model years. Sometimes transmission programming fixed them, but a few people had entire transmissions replaced under warranty. The 2016+ models are supposed to be better.

I own a Grand Cherokee, and my big disappointment with the regular Cherokee (apart from silly styling elements) is that its a front-drive platform with a limited 4x4 capability scabbed on, just like the current Explorer, the new Blazer, and far too many modern compact SUVs. Actually its a little better than those in that the Explorer is really JUST FWD with an on-demand connection to the rear axle ONLY when front-wheel slip is detected, but the Cherokee is still FWD at its core. The Grand Cherokee is still a real rear-drive based 4x4 with an honest-to-god locking transfer case in 4-low range, although electronic intervention with the ABS does what would be done by limited slip or locking diffs in an old-school Jeep.

As far as reliability, the first couple years were problematic with the 9-speed ZF transaxle, but I'm not hearing much about that anymore. The Pentastar v6 is bulletproof, I know very little about the Tigershark but again, NOT hearing bad things is generally good. A quick glance at some Jeep forums seems to indicate most people are generally happy with it.

I don't have one but a co-worker of mine does, its a early 2017. It's currently being bought back due to transmission issues they can't fix. Basically, you floor it and it hardly goes anywhere. Scary when trying to pull out into traffic. They replaced the trans computer as well as the trans, still the same issues and they can't figure it out. It's been in the shop a ton, at one point for something like 40 days.

She love it besides that though and is swapping into a 2018/2019 in the next week or so. They were pretty good about processing the lemon claim on it. The dealer handled it all, no lawyer needed.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I own a Grand Cherokee, and my big disappointment with the regular Cherokee (apart from silly styling elements) is that its a front-drive platform with a limited 4x4 capability scabbed on, just like the current Explorer, the new Blazer, and far too many modern compact SUVs.

From the videos I have seen, it appears to be a VERY capable system. I'd prefer FWD biased but is this 4x4 very capable or is this something poor like the Honda AWD system?

My BIL has been running a 3.6 powered Cherokee for several years now. Other than the usual wear items, he has had no issues in well over 200,000km of use. He plans to buy another when this one wears out.

Now his sees some city and mostly highway miles and very limited grid road driving. So cant testify how great it works off road or how much the chassis can take a beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back