93 Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, we recently picked up a 93 F-350 work truck and I’m trying to decide what oil to run in it. I normally follow the manufacturer specs but I’m not sure what to make of it. It calls for SAE 30 oil rated CF-4/SG. SG is apparently a defunked rating. Would I just run something like Delo 500 30 weight or Rotella? Or is the manufacture recommendation so out of date it doesn’t matter anymore? Thanks. This thing has a quarter million miles on it already and I want to keep it running. Oh I plan on following the recommended 5000 mile OCI.

It's a '93 Turbo IDI. Those are kinda rare, good find.

You can use any 10w30 or SAE 30 in CI-4+. This is pre diesel emissions spec for your truck. It will give you lots of zinc and calcium if you want to push the OCI over 5K.

It gets really freakin hot in Redding, CA so maybe you want to use a 15w40 or 5w40 synthetic, I would if I was towing or doing any hauling in that heat. Those are also suitable for winter use in your climate. Lots of conventional and synthetic CI-4+ or CJ-4/CK-4 options in the 40 wt viscosities to choose from.

I run Delo 400 SAE 30 in my '89. but any major brand HDEO 15W40 (or 10W30) would work fine. The bigger (potential) issue with your truck will be coolant additives, called SCAs, which prevent destructive cavitation of the thin cylinder walls. I did a lot of research on SCAs when I bought my 7.3, and I settled on the DCA-2 type, made by NAPA (NAPA Kool) and others, with a coolant filter plumbed between the heater hoses to catch the silicate drop out (which will settle in the bottom radiator tank otherwise).

Yep, any decent 15W40 diesel rated oil will work fine in that dinosaur. They weren't picky and with your climate no reason to run anything for cold start up.

Rotella makes a fine oil as does Delo. Either one can be had at WalMart on the cheap.

I lived in Palo Cedro for 17 years and 15W- 40 oil is perfect. 5W-40 is a waste of money until you get below 20*f consistently. I will say the 15w 40s are a better oil

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. It is primarily used for towing a dump trailer and it is indeed ridiculously hot right now.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Most people including me run a 15w40. For some reason they don't like rotella,tend to burn it.

Must be an IDI thing because my 1997 7.3 Powerstroke loves Rotella T6, it leaks a little but not much, rarely have to add any makeup oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back