Pennzoil ultra not so ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was looking for a ms-13340 cert oil for my jeep 2.0T

pennzoil ultra platinum has old certs api sn, Chrysler 6395 etc.

while regular pennzoil platinum is apt sn+, chrysler ms-13340, dexos 1 gen 2 and other superior certs.

so is pennzoil ultra even as good as regular pennzoil platinum now??

or is it a forgotten redhaired stepchild oil.

Several year back I used PUP 10W30 SN in my Montero and it sheared. But, every application is different and my Montero is a classic.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

It's ultra as in ultra hard to find
27.gif

I used PUP for several years but it's become the victim of neglect. No reformulation to meet Dexos1 Gen2 or SN Plus is a deal-breaker for me. I think PUP will disappear after existing inventories are depleted.

Platinum D1 G2 has become Pennzoil's new "flagship" product.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
27.gif

It's only hard to find if you only look in one place. You can find it. I agree SOPUS hasn't updated the formula for a while, but if it meets what your car requires, its a great oil.

27.gif

Walmart.com $25 for 5-quart jug.
It's been that way for 6 months.
It's not that hard people.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
It dosen't meet the new specs that my cars require so it's a non issue for me.

We never had PUP at Walmart and then the Euro version got dropped. They stock PP in several grades.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
27.gif

Walmart.com $25 for 5-quart jug.
It's been that way for 6 months.
It's not that hard people.

Exactly. $24.97 right now at WMT online, spend $35 and it comes shipped free to your house. Add in the rebate of $10/jug and that's under $3/quart. Not bad, especially for someone like me that doesn't need an oil that meets the SN+ or whatever they're calling the new spec.

It would be nice though if our Pennzoil insider would let us know if they have plans of dropping it. As of Jan 2018 they claimed there were no plans of dropping the product. But that could have changed......

This is why I went back to Mobil 1, tired of hunting Pennzoil down all the time, not even an issue with M1 products so therefore they have my business!

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

It's only hard to find if you only look in one place. You can find it. I agree SOPUS hasn't updated the formula for a while, but if it meets what your car requires, its a great oil.

Agreed. Our DDs are non-turbo, non-DI engines so the old spec does just fine for me. I would be fine using PUP. Heck, I'm actually sad I can't get the sodium version of Valv SynP anymore.

PP SN on shelves is already SN+, no difference except for a new label, according to Pennzoil. The ones who make it. PUP may be the same, someone interested should ask them.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
PP SN on shelves is already SN+, no difference except for a new label, according to Pennzoil. The ones who make it. PUP may be the same, someone interested should ask them.

It makes sense to me that the most recent PP SN was already SN+ because it also had dexos1 Gen 2 (for the appropriate grades).
Since PUP was not updated for d1G2, I'd guess it's not SN+, although that is just a guess.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

It makes sense to me that the most recent PP SN was already SN+ because it also had dexos1 Gen 2 (for the appropriate grades).
Since PUP was not updated for d1G2, I'd guess it's not SN+, although that is just a guess.

That's a pretty good guess. The Pennzoil website indicates that PUP is SN-RC (Resource Conserving), whereas PP is SN Plus. Even before the SN Plus spec was released, PP was SN Plus Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back