Purolator oil filter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 550 and have used the PL14610 filter a time or 2 before along with a Wix filter 51358 with no problems until now. I changed oil about 2 months ago and haven't ridden it a lot but I did go for a ride about a week ago. I go out today and noticed a puddle underneath and it was 1.2 qts. low, holds 2.2 qts. When I added more oil it could leak again at a rate of about 1 drip per minute which is fairly significant! I took the oil filter off and cleaned up the gasket and it still leaked, I planned on replacing it but I just wanted to see if I could find anything wrong.

According to Purolator's website they call for filter ML16817 which is slightly smaller but I don't think that is the problem when I inspected it upon removal and the Grizzly forums recommend this filter as it is a little longer. I have never had an issue with this and it really bothers me because if my son or wife would have driven it that would not have been ideal. Have there been issues like this with Purolator? I will be putting a Wix on before I ride it again.

Where in my post did I blame them??? I am just trying to find out if they have had problems. This filter is recommended for this atv at several atv forums and it has worked for me in the past and this filter has been working for a couple months.

Leak-O-Later

Sounds like a leaky crimp on the base.

That is what I was wondering. The fact that it's slightly larger shouldn't make a difference as there was plenty of flat metal where the gasket is.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Leak-O-Later
Sounds like a leaky crimp on the base.

I've used that filter on my wheeler several times and also the bosch and supertech equivalent.

the only filter i've had leak lately was on my r1 i put on a 6607 supertech and its like it wouldn't tighten down like it would tighten and then stop suddenly like the threads were bottoming out. i took it back off and put on a bosch and no issues since.

sometimes filters just leak unfortunately.

You could try an XG7317 as well if you wanted a synthetic media filter. The PL14610 filter size is recommended for many ATVs. I used that size on my 2010 Kawasaki Brute Force with great results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
Where in my post did I blame them??? I am just trying to find out if they have had problems. This filter is recommended for this atv at several atv forums and it has worked for me in the past and this filter has been working for a couple months.

Just because the math-fit is the same, doesn't allow for the oil pump-pressure differences between a motorcycle oil filter and a car oil filter.

Buy a filter specifically listed in a manual for your bike.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Just because the math-fit is the same, doesn't allow for the oil pump-pressure differences between a motorcycle oil filter and a car oil filter.

There are about 4.5 bazillion folks that have proven that is bunk.

Last edited:
Leaking while engine not running means more detective work needed IMO. In any case Purolator has a strong seam so unless the seam shows damage, there is virtually zero chance it leaks at the seam. If there is a puddle it makes no sense gravity alone is pulling oil from the oil filter.

I dont see how a filter will leak majority of oil with no op applied. I vote it's not leaking from the filter.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

There are about 4.5 bazillion folks that have proven that is bunk.

Without any help from the peanut gallery here, then tell us why that filter leaked beanoil?
No help please...... just beanoil, in response to this post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Leaking while engine not running means more detective work needed IMO. In any case Purolator has a strong seam so unless the seam shows damage, there is virtually zero chance it leaks at the seam. If there is a puddle it makes no sense gravity alone is pulling oil from the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I dont see how a filter will leak majority of oil with no op applied. I vote it's not leaking from the filter.

Purolator changed the tapping plate on this sized filter (including the shorter one):

PSL14610c2.jpg

to

PL14610slotsBLUE4.jpg

These are being referred to on the bike forums as “concave” and convex”.

It is likely leaking because the tapping plate is tightening down on the adapter before the gasket properly tightens on the sealing surface.

This is well documented on the bike and ATV forums including the grizzly forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Since the Purolator leaked...... Use the Wix 51358(Napa Gold 1358) or if you want, the longer 51356(Napa Gold 1356).

I am going to start with the oil filter is leaking, either from the gasket or bad filter. It's possible they changed it, what doesn't make sense is that it worked for 2 months and all of a sudden it leaked oil completely down to the oil filter level, I have zero doubts it leaked with no pressure, it was a slow drip that probably went on from the last time I rode it a week ago. I think when I am done I might put it on the polaris just to see if it leaks from that. Luckily the oil filter sits at about the 1 qt. mark so it at least has some oil in it if someone were to run it.

So just want to know what the thoughts are on using the 51356 or Napa gold 1356 since some seem to strongly forbid using anything but the recommended filter. I don't want to jeopardize my engine but I do prefer the longer filter because it has more media and both the Wix and Napa are closer to half the price. I know I have used longer filters many times in the past for different applications and this is my first oil leak I have ever has at a filter.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
You could try an XG7317 as well if you wanted a synthetic media filter. The PL14610 filter size is recommended for many ATVs. I used that size on my 2010 Kawasaki Brute Force with great results.

x2, I use this filter on my Grizzly 660 without any issues. Ultra synthetic is the best filter available on the market right now for the price. You can safely run it twice on your ATV. The longer filter makes it easier to remove because it sticks out a little further which is nice!

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Since the Purolator leaked...... Use the Wix 51358(Napa Gold 1358) or if you want, the longer 51356(Napa Gold 1356).

I am going to start with the oil filter is leaking, either from the gasket or bad filter. It's possible they changed it, what doesn't make sense is that it worked for 2 months and all of a sudden it leaked oil completely down to the oil filter level, I have zero doubts it leaked with no pressure, it was a slow drip that probably went on from the last time I rode it a week ago. I think when I am done I might put it on the polaris just to see if it leaks from that. Luckily the oil filter sits at about the 1 qt. mark so it at least has some oil in it if someone were to run it.

So just want to know what the thoughts are on using the 51356 or Napa gold 1356 since some seem to strongly forbid using anything but the recommended filter. I don't want to jeopardize my engine but I do prefer the longer filter because it has more media and both the Wix and Napa are closer to half the price. I know I have used longer filters many times in the past for different applications and this is my first oil leak I have ever has at a filter.

Have a read through the threads I linked, they explain the problem pretty well, the last one from the FJR site in particular has some details on how to measure.

The 51356 crosses to the other filters so if the tapping plate will allow it to screw on properly no reason it won’t work. I believe I still have one cut open so I will try to get you some measurements. Be aware though that M+H now owns WIX, so even if they work now that could change at any moment.

Assuming I’m right about the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back