Idiots at the gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Based on the thread title I was expecting much worse. For instance smoking around the pumps or steping over the fuel hose. Must happen often since there's a recording not to do both at one of the newer stations I go to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yGmRx3ymWI

This person shouldn't have a drivers licence. There's so much more that could have gone wrong there.

OK, some of my personal experiences from my gap year, and afternoon/weekend work while in first year Uni (1986, through 1987).

for 1986, I worked at a Shell service station (Manuka, in the Nation's Capital), was the highest volume service station in the ACT, 22-23,000L/day, Regular Unleaded, Premium Unleaded and Super (leaded), Oz was on the transition. "Click" handles had been phased out as people couldn't be trusted to even remain near their vehicles.

Self serve, as driveway service was being phased out, due to exposure to nasty hydrocarbons.

I was the console operator, authorising pups to run, crash stop the site for safety etc. And they had inspectors come around and "test" us...away from the panel when they turn up, you get the sack, station gets fined. The cops would send underage girls who looked 25 in to buy smokes.

Could have been a no brain job, but I made it more, getting the regular's smokes down before they walked in, account paperwork ready to go, just silly little things that the customer's appreciate.

After that year, the owner sold Manuka and bought Shell Bradon, handy for me closer to Uni. But it was a 4 way crossroads, us (Shell) had a kerosene pump and a broken car wash), Caltex (had a tyre sales workshop), BP (had a functional carwash), and Solo (owner had a white Countach, a Kadicha race car that he occasionally drove to work, and Josie, an absolute stunner, who regularly spent an afternoon in a bikini washing the Lamborghini).

Needless to say it was slow.

Manuka...Compressed air.

Mechanic ran the compressed air system at rated pressure...120psi. Receiver was stamped for it. Caused problems with people with 10 speed racers, they were used to running air until it stopped. About once per month there would be a bang up at the air station, and if you looked up quickly, you could see the cloud of talc.

One morning...BANG...look up, and there's talc.

5 minutes later...BANG...more talc.

Guy in a suit (one of the public servants, looking like a mid level management maybe), and those dandy little trouser clips comes in, asks me what the air pressure is, and demands to see the Manager.

Manager comes over and the guy starts a rant..."I just blew two tyres up at your faulty filling station, what have you got to say ?"

Derek - "why weren't you smart enough to stop at one ?"

Guy went off that I'd explained that the system was 120psi, there's an Australian Standard that covers Gas station air pressures, and they are supposed to be set at a level that will not explode tyres...(well there ARE standards, but just not that).

He was going to leave his bike up there, and expected us to keep it safe until he turned up that evening to pick it up. Boss explained that we were not responsible for his property...he dialled a taxi...Boss rang the cops and reported an abandoned bike.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another day, an Indian guy came in and said that he'd pumped up his tyres, and now the car didn't feel right, what was wrong.

We kicked it around for a bit, and he'd run the air until it stopped.

Walking towards his car, it looked like a Matchbox/Hotwheels car, the car perched up on four almost perfectly round tyres.

I grabbed a steel bin lid as a "shield", grabbed a core removal tool, and trying to stay out of the line of fire deflated them all and re-inflated...I was packing bricks, did not want to be there.

I was in South Korea a couple weeks ago, and all the stations I remember seeing were designed to have the cars back into the station and the hose comes down from above. I haven't seen that anywhere else.

hJxuuJU.jpg

Manuka - Fluids

Near new Mitsubishi Sigma turns up. (2.6L 4, one of the first engines with a balance shaft in Oz)
Guy wanders up to the oil display, and grabs 4 litres of Shell Super SF 20W40.

My mental chatter is thinking that it's service week ('cause the oil was all outside bar the GTX and Agip Sint 2000, you had to keep an eye and tally on a piece of paper what people were doing...people lie)…

Wrong, he goes to the Front of the car, and tips the lot in...Wow, an oil burner I say to myself.

He comes and gets another jug...I think to myself, good insurance if it burns that much oil...he goes and tips that in.

Comes back for another, and tips MOST of that in...10-12 litres added now.

When he came in to pay, I asked if he filled it up to the point that you could see the oil...he replied yes.

Told him that's not how things are done, and if he ducked to the mechanics section, they could set it right.

He went off, he'd been driving longer than I was alive, what would I know...then drove off...engine grumbling and smoking as it had to beat all that oil into submission.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chick in a 250ci. Ford six Cortina (4 speed, metallic blue, very nice), came in in tears, thinking she'd made a mistake.

Checked the radiator, and it was nearly empty, filled it up, and there's oil floating on the water.

They had an oil fill cap that looked like a radiator cap, she'd filled the engine with water.

No harm, mechanics pushed it into the shop, drained it, blew it out with air, and got her to come back a week later for another change.

One freezing morning another girl came in in a Corrolla, and told me that her car was overheating badly.

I asked if she had antifreeze in it, and she launched into a tirade about how f'ing stupid I was, she clearly told me that the car was overheating, now I'm trying to sell her something.

All I wanted to do was tell her to park it for a half hour or so, and the heat from the block would probably melt it.

She drove off (still overheating) with attitude.

(Came back the next morning and apologised, road side service told her the same thing.

Manuka - idiots at the pump.

Old guy turns up in a very old Rolls Royce, comes in and asks for our "stick". Work out that the "stick" that he wants is our piece of wood to chock the pump handle in the on position.

Explain that we have no "stick" they would be illegal.

He went on to explain that he was a cancer survivor, and driving his Rolls Royce around Australia. And every service station has a "stick" to help disabled people like him fill their cars.

But sir, we don't have one and they are illegal.

My Boss heard things getting a little heated (not me), came out and explained to the guy that there was no such thing.

He went out and started filling, at which point I noticed that he was still filling and washing his windscreen...sent the boss out, and he'd tied the handle up with string, it had fallen out, and was dropping fuel on the ground.

Derek hung the pump up, berated that guy, who stated that he wasn't paying for fuel that he didn't receive, and drove off...we reported him to the Police.

Bradon - fuel idiocy.

Now truth be told, if a guy jammed his petrol cap in the handle, and washed his windows, we usually let that go...as soon as they walked away from the car, we had an issue.

Govt Ford Falcon turns up, appliance white, and Govt plates.

Only guy on the forecourt at the time.

Pump is running, he's washing windshield, no problems...then he wanders off around to the toilets.

Only guy on the forecourt, and the stop would mean a split bill and stupid arguments, so I went out to disable his trigger lock...It was a mini Bic cigarette lighter, jammed end on under the handle.

I took it out, and went back inside so he could get it when he paid.

He came in furious, and demanded his lighter back...I refused, then he went back, jammed the petrol cap in the handle, then wandered off again...I took that out, placed in on the trunk of his car, turned to go inside, at which point he came back, then went to repeat.

I grabbed the cap and told him no.

He pulled the nozzle out of the car, still with the handle on full flow, spraying a stream of fuel over the vehicle, and splashing on himself, just as the director of the Company arrived on site...went straight to the office, and asked my boss (Derek) to attend.

This guy went off on how I was the worst employee that he had ever come across, rude, confiscated his personal property, and I should be sacked.

Derek countered that was diametrically opposite to the usual feedback, and that he must have done something "pretty stupid" to have gotten a rise out of me...so "what did you do ?"

I showed him the cigarette lighter, and explained it's use....which confirmed his stupidity, then he paid (Govt fleet with shell card, we got reimbursed the litres, plus a few cents, not worth much), and declared that he and his office would boycott our station...like I said, no big loss.

Braddon - little old lady and the Kerosene pump.

Carwash didn't work, was signposted and barricaded off.

Little old lady in a Datsun 1600 pulls up and starts honking for service.

Boss goes out and tells her that it's out of order, and we apologise, but there's one over the road.

So she puts it into reverses and nails the Kerosene pump...dead centre hit.

Gets out, in tears, very apologetic...boss is trying to calm her, get her details, etc. etc.

In the end, everyone's happy (ish), and she goes to drive off again...and backs STRAIGHT into the Kerosene pump again.

Derek drove her car off the premesis before giving her the keys back.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Costco also has a credit card where you get 4% back on gas so that $3 gas works out to 12 cents off. Also depends what they're filling up on, I notice their markup on Premium isn't as bad as other stations.

That's the case up here too, their price is already a lot lower on 87 octane than the other stations, but they also only markup their premium by an additional 12 cents per liter, while most others now are around 19-22 per liter. So it often works out that I pay less for premium at Costco than I would for regular at other stations. So it's worth the drive to a Costco and worth lining up for 10 minutes too. I always shut the engine off while waiting though, no sense idling away part of my savings!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Costco also has a credit card where you get 4% back on gas so that $3 gas works out to 12 cents off. Also depends what they're filling up on, I notice their markup on Premium isn't as bad as other stations.

That's the case up here too, their price is already a lot lower on 87 octane than the other stations, but they also only markup their premium by an additional 12 cents per liter, while most others now are around 19-22 per liter. So it often works out that I pay less for premium at Costco than I would for regular at other stations. So it's worth the drive to a Costco and worth lining up for 10 minutes too. I always shut the engine off while waiting though, no sense idling away part of my savings!

A friend of mine is one of those supposed environmentalist type. Won't eat at McDonalds and the like. But when he fills up, he leaves the engine running. I have to yell at him to shut off the car, why would you want to breathe in all those fumes, which include carbon monoxide. He's also the same type that jams the gas cap into the pump. I always hold it. I think you get can static electricity when you do that and some fires start that way. If you're always holding, no chance of that. Now it's legalized in our state to have those clips again.

Manuka, interesting to see it in use over there...or does it mean something else ?

I've spent many years working at service stations, but not often on the pumps, it's just that it's the best place for a workshop to be. You sure do get some interesting things going on. We still have trigger locks, they are auto shut off. And we used to get plenty of drive offs with the handle still in the hole...we always had spare handles, as they would snap off the spout as designed. Someone in the workshop would have to go out and fit a new handle.

We have a lot of Japanese cars here, and 90% of them have the filler on the left, Euro cars always have it on the right, so they all go for the same side of the pumps, and line up to do it...I can just pull the Volvo up to the empty side.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Manuka, interesting to see it in use over there...or does it mean something else ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuka,_Australian_Capital_Territory

When the sacred geometry f the Nations Capital was being set out, they hoped that you guys would be a part of the Federation.

I lived in SK and have been back several times … many of the fuel stops are pass through just like ours … not sure if it’s city specific or real estate limited …
I do know I’d have to come up with a good reason to have my wife back up around gas pumps
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I hate the guy who takes the one diesel pump....for GAS! Pet peeve.

If they sell gas too there completely fair game.
When all of the fifteen gasoline only pumps are free , I must respectfully beg to differ!

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
What annoys me at the Filling Station is when people don't pull up to the furthest pump, making others to either drive around them (if possible) or drive to the other side and back in to the pump the idiot should be using, not me.

This is my pet peeve and I see it all the time!

Originally Posted By: grampi
What annoys me at the Filling Station is when people don't pull up to the furthest pump, making others to either drive around them (if possible) or drive to the other side and back in to the pump the idiot should be using, not me.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge. I think a lot of the time there was a car at the furthest pump and they finish and drive off while the car at the near pump is still filling.

Originally Posted By: glock19

I wouldn't be too quick to judge. I think a lot of the time there was a car at the furthest pump and they finish and drive off while the car at the near pump is still filling.

Except when I see them stop at the rear pump when the front one is vacant...

Originally Posted By: glock19

Except when I see them stop at the rear pump when the front one is vacant...

Fair enough, I agree that would be annoying. I just know people in front of me have finished first and I'm left looking like a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back