Anti-seize application guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Does anyone know of a good application guide for the varieties of anti seize? I know one can buy silver (Al, Cu and graphite mix), Copper, Nickel, and marine (Moly and graphite) types. Someplace I read there is a zinc variety as well.

I know certain ones have specific temperature ratings, but what about materials recommendations? Essentially, if you're contacting material x with material y, a good/batter/best type chart.

I haven't found a good one.

Anyone have a good resource?

I've been looking at anti seize as well. I've always used the permatex al. But i have thought about getting some nickel. Is there any setting not to use nickel?

I still have a little bottle of the Aluminum

Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant
Prevents galling, corrosion and seizing to assure easier disassembly
Temperature Range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°C to 871°C)
Ideal for marine use

That is what the product info says...which all leads you to believe that its perfect for moving brake parts.. but i dont like it at all. Turns to chalk and doesnt lubricate well. Seems to harden and turn chalky on spark plug threads also.

I have tried copper antiseize on lug threads/O2 Sensors, Spark plugs, and Brake parts all with success..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Trav
http://www.loctite.mx/mxe/content_data/83749_LT3355v4_MROantiseize.pdf

http://www.loctite.com.au/lubrication-anti-seize-4096.htm

Thanks Trav. Looking at the charts , nickel is the high temp choice, but is not indicated for aluminum and soft metals. The siver grade is AL.

So maybe nickel for exhaust stuff and Al for trans case or aluminum block stuff. O2 sensors always seem to be copper.

I was going to say, from the Mexican site, it looks to me like the casual,user would be best served with a can of marine grade and a can of zinc type.

Zinc seems superior for aluminum stuff, and the marine grade for everything else.

I'd be concerned about using Cu anti seize on Al parts (first world problem, I know), and since I'm not a huge user, saving money with the standard silver stuff seems a little penny wise pound foolish if there's something better for the long run.

I use this as the general go to for most jobs, it does work very well at keeping rust away when a very thin film is applied behind brake rotor hats and hub faces.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...ze-lubricant-2/

I keep a can of copper and marine for other jobs, anything one the suspension or bolts under the car got marine (salt belt), 02 and plugs, exhaust manifold studs get copper.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have never had, or have ever seen ANY thread, any size, at any torque, that was treated with Loctite C5-A ever give problems. And this is based on a 45 year career in the die / mold / machining / metalworking industry. This is a lifetime supply for most individuals.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Copper-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Temperature/dp/B001HWDEGW

Can't use it in power station applications...causes intergrannular embrittlement.

Copper and low melting point metals (and halogenated compounds) are no-nos in many actual applications.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'd be concerned about using Cu anti seize on Al parts (first world problem,

Yet, the Permatex site states this use on their Copper antiseize page: "Spark plug threads installed in aluminum"?????

I once called the Permatex tech. number for answers but I am still scratching my head like most of us.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Yet, the Permatex site states this use on their Copper antiseize page: "Spark plug threads installed in aluminum"?????

I once called the Permatex tech. number for answers but I am still scratching my head like most of us.

I have used copper on every single plug thread and 02 sensor in 45 years and not one issue. Unless your a working pro that is probably more plugs than 50 people will do in a life time.
Copper is a great conductor for the ground.

Last edited:
In an general automotive application, most anti-seizes work with the realm of preventing Fe/Al galling/corrosion.

With that said, Loctite C5-A is as good as you can get. Supposedly Glock uses it as well on their pistol slides.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I have used copper on every single plug thread and 02 sensor in 45 years and not one issue. Unless your a working pro that is probably more plugs than 50 people will do in a life time.
Copper is a great conductor for the ground.

I'd think that o2 sensors aren't an issue because it's steel to steel.

Older cars with iron heads would be the same.

The issue is copper and aluminum. The two will react. I think the nuance here is that it's not a likely situation to have a lot of electrolyte (water) near the copper-aluminum boundary. It's just too darn hot. Heat can expedite chemical reactions, but this one needs the electrolyte. Copper does make sense from a conductivity standpoint. The oils flash off rapidly and you have essentially a dry copper powder taking up voids in the interface.

Someplace I read that in time, copper on spark plug threads indices corrosion and degradation of the aluminum threads. What the amount of time and use for that to be the case fo is, I have no idea.

I'd suspect you don't use copper on say, aluminum chassis parts that could readily get wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back