Wheel Bearing Grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another thread i saw posted a video on chevrolet trucks you can pump grease into the speed sensor hole to lubricate the bearings..

From what i can tell my bearings are OEM untouched for 225K miles. When i did my brakes i did notice that they werent super smooth.

Now that i have the curiousity to do this its a one time one shot deal on what goes in that hole because it will never come back out.

I have a stick of Pennzoil 707L Premium wheel bearing grease. that i got for $1 at an autozone clearance in the stash..is that good enough? or should i look at something else?

I cant see any harm in adding grease to these bearings.. am i missing something?

Is grease purging from the seals? If not, remember that the grease cavity should have no more than 30% grease by volume. You also take the chance of mixing incompatible greases.

The grease that's in there should last a good long time, as long as the seals don't wear out.

BOTH bearings are suspect? If the bearings truly aren't running smoothly, then the damage is done and they need to be replaced.

No way to know what the oem used. I have no idea how to pick grease thats compatable, but i find the method interesting.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Is grease purging from the seals? If not, remember that the grease cavity should have no more than 30% grease by volume. You also take the chance of mixing incompatible greases.

The grease that's in there should last a good long time, as long as the seals don't wear out.

BOTH bearings are suspect? If the bearings truly aren't running smoothly, then the damage is done and they need to be replaced.

Im the third owner, its 15 yrs old with 225K miles.. i dont believe everything i see on youtube but its a decent idea IMHO the guy actually says "good for another 100 thousand miles" after he shoots the grease in..

I think its a semi-sound idea for 'preventative maintenance'... the bearings are tight and dont roar, just saying they aint OEM fresh.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I think its a semi-sound idea for 'preventative maintenance'

I've read both threads and apparently the speed sensor bolts are easy to break. Sounds like a recipe for disaster for no tangible reason.

the guy actually says "good for another 100 thousand miles" after he shoots the grease in..

... and you believe this?

the bearings are tight and dont roar, just saying they aint OEM fresh.

Either the bearings are good or they're on their way out.

As said before ther are standard trsts to see if the bearings are shot. Jack up the vehicle and spins and wiggle looking for play.

If still concerned, just get the bearings changed. 225 is a good number.

If your bearings are truely crunchy, grease will not help for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back