PUP 5w30 6.5k miles, 2017 Equinox 32k total miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
They suggested 7500 miles on the last UOA, so I stretched it as far as the oil life monitor would let me. Got it down to 1% on the monitor, which ended up right around 6500 miles.

Filter for both changes on the UOA was a purolator pure-one filter PL22500. This was my last one, plan on switching over to a Fram ultra on the next change.

cKV6Ryz.jpg

Oil is very good in viscosity range for a 5w30 ... And no potassium or sodium in your oil to show a coolant leak.. No fuel in gas as evidenced by high flash point.

This is a very good report.

Doesn't GM require a Dex1Gen2 oil for that engine to control intake deposits and timing chain wear on this DI engine? Calcium looks too high for a D1G1 oil. PUP is a great oil and I'm sure it will handle timing chain wear just fine but not sure about intake deposits with that calcium level. Pennzoil web site shows this is a Dex1 oil but not Gen2.

Originally Posted By: DenverGP
They suggested 7500 miles on the last UOA, so I stretched it as far as the oil life monitor would let me. Got it down to 1% on the monitor, which ended up right around 6500 miles.

Filter for both changes on the UOA was a purolator pure-one filter PL22500. This was my last one, plan on switching over to a Fram ultra on the next change.

cKV6Ryz.jpg

Was the same oil used on the 5500 mile OCI?

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Doesn't GM require a Dex1Gen2 oil for that engine to control intake deposits and timing chain wear on this DI engine? Calcium looks too high for a D1G1 oil. PUP is a great oil and I'm sure it will handle timing chain wear just fine but not sure about intake deposits with that calcium level. Pennzoil web site shows this is a Dex1 oil but not Gen2.
Meant calcium too high for a D1G2 oil.

jhs914, Where is it discussed that high calcium causes intake deposits, please? This is a new claim for me.

Nice looking report! I've got about 17 gallons of PUP 5W20 since two of my vehicles spec it.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
jhs914, Where is it discussed that high calcium causes intake deposits, please? This is a new claim for me.

Nice looking report! I've got about 17 gallons of PUP 5W20 since two of my vehicles spec it.

Higher Calcium is a likely cause of LSPI hence the shift to high magnesium-lower calcium add packs. PUP has not followed this trend, yet.

Calcium does not cause intake deposits.

Last edited:
Pim, while I can't personally verify this, that's what I understood. This claim that calcium causes the carbonized intake deposits sounded barmy (thanks, Shannow!) at best, so I wanted to see if there was any basis for the claim.

Yes, SOPUS has let PUP lag behind on formulation, but if it meets the specs for your engine, it's still a really good choice to dump in the sump after you drain the old oil while on your rump, in the driveway.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back