Oil suggestions for my modded Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

Hey guys,

Got a 2017 Mercedes C43, factory fill is M1 0w40 which is what I've been running in it. I feel based on the oil temps the oil is sheering down to a 30 weight with the insane heat this car produces. This car is stage 2 tuned (with down pipes). Factory numbers are 362 hp / 384 ftlb torque. Tuned with down pipes this is now about 430 hp / 570 ftlb torque.

Oil temps are getting pretty high especially with brutal heat we've been having here in Toronto. I want to switch to a 5w40 oil for the summer and possibly for the winter (winter the car is usually indoors overnight and during the day so brutal cold starts are rare).

I've looked at Motul Xcess 5w40 and Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 but to be honest stats wise (looking at HTHS, TBN, VI etc...) its not that much of a difference from the M1 0w40 which I know is a stout oil and everyone here loves.

What do you guys suggest I try? Redline oils are great but don't meet the 229.5 spec which honestly at this point not sure if I need to follow since my car is modded (still have a warranty!).

Does it have an oil pressure display? If oil pressure stays good while you're doing spirited driving, maybe the M1 0W-40 is protecting just fine.

when oil temps get high the car seems to kill its burbles for some reason. I'm seeing about 233 degrees Fahrenheit when the ambient temps are about 77.

Originally Posted By: Mau
when oil temps get high the car seems to kill its burbles for some reason. I'm seeing about 233 degrees Fahrenheit when the ambient temps are about 77.

Kill its burbles?

What does that mean?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Mau

Kill its burbles?

What does that mean?

Car has this burble to it when you let off the gas (must be doing something with the unburnt fuel), sounds insane but I guess for safety purposes it kills it (no more bubles) when the oil temps go over a threshold and with M1 0w40 its going over that threshold. Also I want to try another oil to see if the engine ticking noise goes away like the corvette guys that have the m1 0w40 factory fill have as well.

Here are the oils that I've researched and can attain easily in Canada (let me know if there are others I should look at).

Motul Xcess 5w40
Liquimoly 5w40
Total Quartz 9000 5w40
Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP
Castrol Edge SPT 5w40

Last edited:
C43 is turbocharged engine, right?
Our local Mitsu Evolution 8/9 shop been using Amsoil. Track or daily in 100 plus degrees for years. Stock to high whp.

I know others are great oil as well but i will go try Amsoil first.

All of those 5w-40's aren't going to be much, if any heavier than the 0w-40 you are running presently, because they are Euro 5w-40's, so they tend to hit right in the same visc range.

You could step up to an HDEO 5w-40, which would be heavier, or go with a 5w-50 or 15w-50 if you really feel you need the viscosity reserve.

AMSOIL makes a 5w-50:
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m.../?code=AMRQT-EA

Mobil makes a 15w-50 that you can find at Canadian Tire.

235 isn't that bad for a high performance turbocharged car, I always was told 250-265 is max normal limit, and 300 is starting to break down. Maybe theres some sort of inline oil cooler you can add, or a while ago they used a finned oil filter cap cover to lower temps a bit on MBs older engines that all used the same housing and filter. Your filter is in a tough spot for cooling, dead center on the engine right behind the radiator, so I don't know if the cap will work. Is there any type of programming to run the cooling fan or aux water pumps a little longer? It was a long time ago but in the B5 S4s I owned I always swapped the after run relay out for lower temp/longer "on time" one, and it helped. Also a lot of the guys on the BMW forums are removing their engine trim covers, lowers cylinder head temps by 20-30 degrees on hotter or track days, which can help keep it down a little.

Thanks for the input guys. I may need to look at an external cooler, for now I have ordered amsoil 5w40 classic. Became a preferred member for a year, 3 oil changes will more than cover the membership.

Audios how do you like Fuchs?

No problems so far, a lot of our customers run it to the full interval also (sometimes more...idiots) I recently sent a sample to Wix for testing, my buddy went 11k on his 17 jetta 1.8t ( 4.5 quarts....idiot), and its been sitting at a post office location for 15 days already, I guess BC i sent it in the bottle and didn't box it up. Interested to see how it holds up long term. Also peace of mind knowing the oil I put into cars is more than capable. Our cheapie Cam 2 5/30 blend for the basic oil changes is rated to 7k or so per Blackstone, so I feel better knowing its decent and not bottom of the barrel.

This was made just for cars like this one. I ran this oil in its previous version the RS10w60 for over 200K in a superbike from when it was brand new, no other oil weights or brands for 12 years with no out of spec wear inside the engine or loss of compression.
It got hot enough to turn the tires into pencil erasers running 250+ kmh a lot of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-12064-SUP...strol&psc=1

Hello, fellow Torontonian here.

Is this an all situations DD? Do you have another car you drive? I was going to suggest something a little more stout for the summer and EDGE 0W40 for the winter. I would try something thicker in the winter if it is stored indoors. You can probably get by with a 10W in the winter here honestly, it seems average winter temp is -10 to -15c with a low of -25. I've been researching this to custom mix my coolant.

I think Trav's suggestion of the supercar oil is perfect. I would not really feel comfy running 0W40 in the summer, I hit over 100c oil temps driving in the city yesterday on a stock 1.8T. It might spin a little slowly on a really cold start, but you can never go too thick in a German car.

Do you follow this guy on YouTube that has his own channel called "Autovlog"? He had a 2017 C63 that hydrolocked and he now has a 2018 C63 that is heavily modded just like yours. He's an interesting guy to say the least.

Could a TStat help with the temps? If stock is 202 maybe go to a 190? I ran a 180 in my truck with a tune and it dropped the oil temps, but in my case it dropped them too low and I couldn’t ever get it to 212 without going WOT

Just a couple of small additions.

Note that you do not need to attain 212 degrees as some sort of magical temp to boil off moisture. Water will be driven out at much lower temps as well.

Also, many years ago at Homestead I emailed Mobil from the track as my oil temp went over 300 degrees. They said they actually allow for much higher temps with no issues.

Verified by oil analysis folks, no problems at all. Factory fill on my sig car was M1 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back