Riding Mower Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both Lowes and Home Depot riding mower pages open in my browser..something seems fishy.

Home Depot riding mowers have many hundreds and some thousands of reviews.

Lowes riding mowers have very low reviews..some teens some none at all.

Anyways- my aunt is going to buy a riding mower.. has to be from Lowes- she has a Lowes card. I will be borrowing it from time to time and have offered to chip in $500 instead of buying one myself.

Here are the two most promising-

Deere E170 25HP 48" Cut- $2400

Husqvarna YTH24V48 24HP 48" Cut - $1699

I dont really see a $700 better machine in the Deere..

Am i on the right track with the Husqvarna or is it MTD made? One review says it has the K57 transmission, not sure if this is good or bad.

Any insights to Lowes only riding mowers or zero turns for less than $2500?

If its solely for mowing, quit wasting time looking at lawn tractors unless you have more time to waste the day you mow.

Does the Husqvarna have a Kawasaki engine? If so, I'd buy it.

I bought a Husqvarna 1542 back in 2002 with a 15 h.p. Kawasaki engine. That machine has cut three 1/2 acre size lawns twice a week for the last 15 or so years. Been a very reliable machine with basic maintenance and it's still going strong.

The Husqvarna is a good mower and for $600 less than the JD it’s even better. It comes with a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine. The John Deere comes with a Briggs and Stratton too.

I don't have any complaints with my Husqvarna YTH2348. The JD may have a little bit better deck and blades.

I have a 15 yr old JD from HD.
475 hrs and runs good.
1 spindle and 2 diaphragm fuel pumps, tires and belts.
15 hp 42" deck.
T6 once a year.

I am a JD fan. But for basic mowing duty I don't think you can go wrong with the Husky. I have looked at them and they seem to be comparably built to the JD.

Imo I don't think there is a hit or Miss on riding mowers. They all seem the same these days. I could be wrong though.

The Cub Cadet LTX1040 with the 19hp Kohler engine has been doing great for our acre lawn

I currently have a JD with a kawi motor.. I bought it off a buddy for $200 three years ago. The hood has fallen off, the tires leak down every week, both wheels on the deck have fallen off, the belt sounds horrible and the spindles are loose. I am the third owner that i know of. Oh yeah the deck has huge holes in it that i covered with duct tape. The suspension is totally worn out as well.

With that being said, i could probably make a living with it it just wont die.

Also with that being said, the current models dont have kawi engines.. at least consumer grade.

I mow about 2 acres a week and my aunt has about 2 acres as well, we both live on farms.

I would go for the Huskvarna and they are not made by MTD..There's nothing wrong with a B&S engine. The JD's at home stores are their bargain basement models you won't find at the dealers and are no better or worth the extra money.With reasonable care, the Huskvarna will easily go 15-20 years.

Last edited:
I would say it depends on which engine they have.

I'd pick a Deere with a Briggs over a Husqvarna with one of the new Kohler engines. The Kohler Courage engines are terrible quality. One of my neighbors has a Husqvarna with a Kohler Courage and the tractor is great, but the engine has been a nightmare. Needed the head gasket replaced at 200 hours, valve cover was leaking a week after he brought it home. The starter just went on it a week ago.

My son bought the John Deere E170 from Lowe's this past spring. He mows 2 acres a week. So far he loves it, but time will tell.

I have the YTH22V46 from lowes. The B&S 22hp has been fantastic so far. Plenty of power and I often mow 3' weeds in my field. Pretty easy maintenance and rock solid so far. I have about 65 hours on it since purchasing it in early 2015.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
I have a 15 yr old JD from HD.
475 hrs and runs good.
1 spindle and 2 diaphragm fuel pumps, tires and belts.
15 hp 42" deck.
T6 once a year.

Nothing to brag about. My Husqvarna made Craftsman has more hours and all I have done is oil/filter, plugs change and valve adjustment so far.

Last edited:
My Husqvarna group built Craftsman is a 2007 model year. I bought it used, in all original condition for $300 in 2011-12. After a little cleaning after I got it, it still looks/runs almost new and even has the original blades on the 42" deck yet.

Like said above, I'd avoid any newer machine with a single cyl Kohler engine. Too many issues with them and to me they just run harsh and LOUD compared to a single cyl briggs engine.

Does anyone know of a device that allows one to easily sharpen lawnmower blades while they’re attached? Something you could swipe across the blade like a two sided stone or something abrasive? This tool would make it handy

Originally Posted By: 330indy
Does anyone know of a device that allows one to easily sharpen lawnmower blades while they’re attached? Something you could swipe across the blade like a two sided stone or something abrasive? This tool would make it handy

A file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back