2014 Silverado differential change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the front and rear differential fluid in my truck today. The truck has 48,000 miles and the rear fluid came out a dark golden brown and it smelled of grapes and diff lube, quite the combination of smells. The magnet in the bottom of the differential housing had more goop/fuzz than I expected but nothing big enough to actually see with the naked eye. I re-siliconed the magnet in place and let it dry as well. I cleaned/scrubbed the cover in our parts washer and flushed out the housing with brake clean. GM was nice enough to use a reusable gasket.

The front was easy as GM was nice enough to put a drain and fill plug. The fluid that drained out was thick and almost gray. I am guessing they didn't put a synthetic up front.

I refilled both with Mobil 1 75w90. I figure they are easily good for another 50k. I very rarely tow and most miles are commuting or vacation.

Yes, GM often specs conventional fluid for the front diff as they expect it won't be used as much as the back diff; trying to save you 10 bucks. I've seen that severe service sometimes specs synthetic. I have synthetic in the front and rear diff as you have done. Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back