New Lenovo. DIMM quandry

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 1570 2in1 (jeebus that's a mouthful), preinstalled with one 16gb DIMM. Belarc tells me I have two slots, but a disassembly of the unit only shows one. What the heck am I missing here?

Memory Modules c,d
16252 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 16384 MB (serial number 924462D2)
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' is Empty

Some laptops have one slot under the keyboard and the other under a panel on the back of the machine.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Some laptops have one slot under the keyboard and the other under a panel on the back of the machine.

My Alienware M18 is like that. 2 slots under the keyboard and 2 that were obviously the first part on the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

they might do that so it's easy expand the memory without dissembling the laptop.
grin.gif

Is there room for another slot underneath the memory chip that is already installed?

your Lenovo Flex 5 (15 inch)
system specs as shipped
memory

Maximum Memory:16GB
Standard Memory:4GB removable
Slots:1 (1 bank of 1)

only 1 slot. The motherboard might normally have 2 and the physical limitations of its case they trimmed it to 1 slot? not sure.

Regardless 16gb should be more than enough unless you are doing serious virtual machines or other very memory heavy usage.

The MB is likely de-popped of the secondary socket. Standard bios and firmware as it's a standard board in other models. Not worth them editing for each model. This is common in commercial products.

some laptops have part of the memory soldered onto the motherboard and
one and only one DIMM slot. But the software detects dual channel and calls
it two slots with only one upgradeable.

since the laptop is maxed out at 16GB with only one DIMM, you are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back