ST or PPPP 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda talked bout this in my last post, this is my real Q. I dont see any UAO'S on ST 0w20 but plenty of Pennzoil. Price difference is $15.88 vs like $22.88. Money is not a problem, just thought maybe ST would be worth a try. Ive had plenty good UAO'S on PPPP. Just dont kno much bout ST 0w20. This oil will be used in the Malibu. Both oils are dexos1 gen 2 certified.

Last edited:
The ST user (or any "value" brand user) is less likely to do a UOA on the oil vs one that buys a name brand oil.

ST oil is a good oil and will do manufacture recommendation intervals with no issues, with the ST synthetic giving better protection overall compared to ST conventional.

While I have a bunch of name brand oil, it is all from clearance and sales. If I had to walk into walmart and pay full price for an oil, it would be ST (and I did exactly that when I bought my motorcycle, needed some 15w-40, I had none, Walmart had their ST Diesel 10w-40 for $10/gallon).

I'd use the Platinum myself as I think it is a better oil. In addition, with the Pennzoil rebate going on it is actually cheaper than the ST.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
The ST user (or any "value" brand user) is less likely to do a UOA on the oil vs one that buys a name brand oil.

ST oil is a good oil and will do manufacture recommendation intervals with no issues, with the ST synthetic giving better protection overall compared to ST conventional.

While I have a bunch of name brand oil, it is all from clearance and sales. If I had to walk into walmart and pay full price for an oil, it would be ST (and I did exactly that when I bought my motorcycle, needed some 15w-40, I had none, Walmart had their ST Diesel 10w-40 for $10/gallon).
i figure maybe why not give it a try, i mean It's D1 gen 2 certified.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I'd use the Platinum myself as I think it is a better oil. In addition, with the Pennzoil rebate going on it is actually cheaper than the ST.

Yep, $13 (after rebate) for a 5-quart jug of Platinum D1G2 synthetic is a no-brainer!

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
... Yep, $13 (after rebate) for a 5-quart jug of Platinum D1G2 synthetic is a no-brainer!
Where are you finding it for $23? WalMarts here haven't budged from $27.76 any time this year. Not in Kentucky when I looked there in January and April, either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
At WM here it's says $27 on the shelf sticker,but rings up at $22.

Does the same thing here.

Originally Posted By: klt1986

Yep, $13 (after rebate) for a 5-quart jug of Platinum D1G2 synthetic is a no-brainer!

Yep. Simple. Get to your Pennzoil MIR quota for the year. THEN buy ST.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

1. ST 0W-20 has not been widely available until recently which may explain the lack of UOAs.

2. With all of the rebates from the majors, ST has not been overly attractive from a pricing perspective.

What OCI are you considering?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
A couple of thoughts:

1. ST 0W-20 has not been widely available until recently which may explain the lack of UOAs.

2. With all of the rebates from the majors, ST has not been overly attractive from a pricing perspective.

What OCI are you considering?
Well figure id try it and post a UAO on it.

OCI is based off the OLM which i run to about 15% which is usually 5-6K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94
... Yep, $13 (after rebate) for a 5-quart jug of Platinum D1G2 synthetic is a no-brainer!
Where are you finding it for $23? WalMarts here haven't budged from $27.76 any time this year. Not in Kentucky when I looked there in January and April, either.

Walmart did a Price Rollback somewhat recently and the price dropped from $28 to $23. As others have said, sometimes the actual (scanned) price is lower than the price shown on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: CR94

Walmart did a Price Rollback somewhat recently and the price dropped from $28 to $23. As others have said, sometimes the actual (scanned) price is lower than the price shown on the shelf.
I checked for that possibility a couple of months ago. The scanner said $27.76, same as the tag on the shelf. I'll try again shortly.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Can you get a $10 rebate on ST? No and that makes the Pennzoil cheaper.

SOPUS can be hit and miss with their rebates (lately seems to be better).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back