Ethanol free gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
3% would be around 1/2 mpg. That's within the margin of error. You can't fill the tank to the same exact level consistently. Mileage computers aren't that accurate.

Do you post this when someone claims the get the same milage with E10 as they do with E0?

But if the price spreads are what they are in my area, that 3% variance between E0 and E10 still makes E10 the better value on a cost per mile basis. Same thing for E85. That is why my pickup has been on E85 since late last fall. Even with the lower mpg, the price spread makes it so that E85 still saves me about 2-3 cents a mile by using it over E10, and 3-4 cents a mile savings compared to E0. E0 is at about $2.99 a gallon near me. E10 is about $2.70 a gallon, and E85 is at $1.92. So E85 is at least a dollar per gallon cheaper. My 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 averages about 10-11 mpg on E85. About 13-14 mpg on E0/E10. E0 at 14 mpg is 21.3 cents a mile cost. E85 at 10 mpg is 19.2 cents a mile cost. Notice, I took the higher average on E0 and the lower average on E85 to make it all fair. So in while those numbers show a 2 cents per mile saving using E85, the actual is more like 3-4 cents a mile savings by using E85 at the present pricing.

But I am not loyal to Ethanol even though I live in ethanol central of the USA. It is just a better value right now. For my OPE and Motorcycle, I use E0 primarily because the open venting issue.

I was in a nearby town, and finally came across an E15 pump. I don’t live in the Midwest, so they’re really rare. The station also had E85, which is not quite as rare where I live. E15 was 4 cents less than E10. I tried it, and the mileage was maybe 3% less than E10. E85 was only 20 cents cheaper than E10, which is really a waste of money. Most places near me give a 50 cent discount, which about breaks even.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
3% would be around 1/2 mpg. That's within the margin of error. You can't fill the tank to the same exact level consistently. Mileage computers aren't that accurate.

I absolutely agree with that, but the mileage loss is still there, all things being equal, and that's assuming that the Vette wouldn't get better economy on E0 93 versus E0 91 if they both were available to him, or E10 93 versus E10 91 if they both were available to him. It's a small difference, but we have idiotic competing interests, where OEMs want us to run the thinnest oil possible to eke out a half of a percentage of fuel economy gain, and then run a fuel that negates that.

Doesn't matter if 3% is within the margin of error when the energy content of a specific volume of the fuel shifts the mean to a different point.

It's now a distribution around the new mean, doesn't make it part of the original group.

Again, simple understandings of physics, chemistry, and engineering escape moonbats...or they intentionally use diversion..."look over there, a bunny"...to make their point

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
But if the price spreads are what they are in my area, that 3% variance between E0 and E10 still makes E10 the better value on a cost per mile basis.

That's the con job down here...it was first 4c/l difference at $1.00/L...made sense, and I ran it.

Now that it's got mandates attached, it's 3c/L at $1.45/l...it's now a mandated rip-off.

Well, at $2.95 a gallon for ethanol free regular in my area vs $2.65 for E10, there is going have to be a major increase in mpg using non ethanol to make it worth while. If a car is getting an average 20 mpg on E10, that equates to about 13.25 cents a mile fuel cost. For non ethanol to be equitable, the mpg average would have to jump to a little over 22 mpg. That is probable, but it is just the break even. if the 3% thing is true, then the real probable average mpg increase is going to be about 21 mpg for non ethanol. That doesn't make the switch worth it. And that is typically what I see with my vehicles between non ethanol and E10.... about a 1 mpg difference at best. So non ethanol only goes in my OPE and motorcycle and my vehicles get some blend of corn. My 3/4 ton pickup gets E85 since it is about $1.10 cheaper a gallon than non ethanol regular. E85 is currently $1.85 a gallon in my area now. Even with the lower mpg, it still is substantially cheaper on a cost per mile basis. The wife's car isn't flex fuel, but gets E15.

And because of Trump's tariffs, corn and soybean prices are heading south. That will make biofuels cheaper yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back