Direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Direct injection has to be put to an end. I read horror stories on here about it I'm sick of black gaseous smelling oil in a months time. No matter if it's Mobil 1, Castrol or cheap stuff. I'm tired of more frequent oil changes and wasting money.

My wife's Corolla with port injection oil still has a honey appearance and not stinking badly of fuel in 4-6 months time she will be getting 10k or 1 year oil change

I have a 2016 Scion iA has a Mazda mill under the hood with direct injection.. it's no exaggeration I had many cars done many of oil changes this car being the worst.

Luckily it's a lease has 6 months to go. I'm shopping around for a vehicle without the direct injection because I'm not leasing any longer.

DI is more fuel efficient, so I wouldn't hold your breath... You're expecting oil durability to come in above fuel economy.

The worst is TGDI and 0w20
37.gif

Have we not seen on this site that most people can easily get 8,000 miles with fuel dilution with no noticeable addition of engine wear?

I have a new 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD Turbo so all bets are off since I always have my foot into it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
DI is more fuel efficient, so I wouldn't hold your breath... You're expecting oil durability to come in above fuel economy.

Direct injection more fuel efficient at the expense of shortened oil change intervals and a maintenance plan of direct injection cleaning.

For a long term ownership of the vehicle I'd take the port injection.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
This Direct injection has to be put to an end. I read horror stories on here about it I'm sick of black gaseous smelling oil in a months time. No matter if it's Mobil 1, Castrol or cheap stuff. I'm tired of more frequent oil changes and wasting money.

My wife's Corolla with port injection oil still has a honey appearance and not stinking badly of fuel in 4-6 months time she will be getting 10k or 1 year oil change

What make of car are you talking about? FWIW, I have a GDI (non-Turbo) engine and there is no smell of gas in the oil, even with 7Kmi/1yr OCIs.

Direct injection more fuel efficient at the expense of shortened oil change intervals and a maintenance plan of direct injection cleaning.

For a long term ownership of the vehicle I'd take the port injection.

I would too.

But you're expecting manufacturers to do that?

Good luck...

I can change the oil on my truck for $20. It takes $80 to fill the fuel tank. I’ll change my oil sooner to gain a few miles per gallon.

Of course it really doesn’t matter in my case because I never went over 5k mile intervals on port injected trucks either.

Last edited:

Did you ever see this ad:

The new BFD Crossover...now with 8000 mile OCI!

Of course not.

Di systems have evolved and not all are equal to begin with.

The valve cleaning issue is solved by altering placements of the injector so that it can clean the valves, as well as multi-hole injectors that can direct in a variety of patterns compensating for the off-center placement of the injector.

There is no injector cleaning interval I can find.

my 3.5 honda DI mill can allow up 10K on an OCI on dino with a 5.7-quart sump using temp analysis to determine the lifespan of oil. I don't go that far, but that hardly a short OCI.

UD

How do those two relate?

I have two DI vehicles that have "pretty" oil, and it does not have a fuel smell. The 07 will dilute in winter months with short trips, the 14 will not no matter how short the trips or how cold the weather. You should stick your nose into the oil tank of the Harley mid January when the temps are consistently at or near freezing.
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Huh?

I’ve seen none of that in my DI engine oil. The exaggeration and dramatics is telling though.

Well said.

Back in the early 1980s while taking continuing education classes [auto tech] the discussion would be Fuel injection sucks and will never be as good as a carb.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Back in the early 1980s while taking continuing education classes [auto tech] the discussion would be Fuel injection sucks and will never be as good as a carb.

Having owned both carburetor and fuel injected vehicles, I would never go back to carbs. They have their nostalgia but the upkeep and especially the finicky carbs at the end were total junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back