Question for the M/C riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you developed weird breathing habits as a result of riding?

When I'm not at highway speeds (< 65 MPH), I usually keep my visor up (with eye sunshade down) for airflow, and something about this has gradually caused me to develop a "hiccup" in my breathing pattern. The best way I can describe it is that my "breathe in" and "breathe out" are often interrupted halfway and it's like my diaphragm spasms to figure out what direction the air should flow. I guess the air funneling into my face while on the bike made it difficult to exhale so I must have been making subconscious adjustments to compensate.

It happened so gradually that I actually thought my childhood asthma had manifested itself, or that I have an irregular heartbeat. It finally clicked in my brain tonight while I was out for a ride.

To contrast -- when I'm exercising and breathing heavily, the "hiccup" doesn't occur, and in the morning when I wake up my breathing pattern seems fine. My pulse oximeter numbers are usually normal.

Seems like it happens during the daytime when I'm doing low-grade activities like cleaning up around the house or fiddling around in the garage.

Probably to do with what you are doing - sunshade down. I wear a scooter helmet when riding my scooter, it's an open face with a faceshield, there appear to be certain wind conditions that make breathing diffucult. Try no sunshade and sunglasses instead.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

When I'm not at highway speeds (< 65 MPH), I usually keep my visor up (with eye sunshade down) for airflow, and something about this has gradually caused me to develop a "hiccup" in my breathing pattern.
Seems like it happens during the daytime when I'm doing low-grade activities like cleaning up around the house or fiddling around in the garage.

Considering it doesn't happen only on the bike, leads me to believe it's anxiety or stress related.
Something your suppressing and not come to terms with?

I have also noticed a difference in breathing when riding, but I full acknowledge that it's related to riding.
Just the sheer stress of all the possible NEGATIVE outcomes of things around me.
It comes and goes. I suppose it's just another reason why I'm considering selling.
coffee2.gif

You turned yourself into a nose breather. Me too! After a lot of years and kilometers on a bike you tend to keep your mouth shut even in a full face if you tend to leave the visor up in town and at low speeds but it caused no permanent breathing issues.

You are possibly doing this subconsciously off the bike now because as you say during sleep no issues.
Try to become conscious of it and see.

No, no changes to my breathing. I do however, always ride with the windscreen and chin bar assembly down and locked. Modular helmet.

Try different helmets.

I wouldn't rule out adrenaline/stress either as mentioned before.

Can you monitor your heart rate while driving for a test?

I rode MC's for nearly 40 years and the only time I breathed like that was when I was on a bike that was new to me and I wasn't completely at ease on it. If you don't ride often or it feels too big or heavy for you then sell it or trade it and get one you can be at ease on. My last one was a Goldwing 1500. I rode that one all over with my wife and was completly at ease on it even though it weighed in at 900lbs. I weighed 260 and am over 6feet tall. Before that I had a BMW 750/7. They are not all alike so try before you buy.

Loose the full face helmet first. Go open face and sun glasses (or regular glasses if prescription). You can add a snap on visor if need be...

Helmets make a difference in breathing. Full face often feel claustrophobic and make me change breathing patters, not to your extent, but ...

Originally Posted By: lego
No, but my nose gets itchy.
lol that is better than sneezing in your helmet.

Only issue is allergies.
No problem at home ride 50 miles different trees then [censored] breaks loose, itchy nose, watery eyes etc.
TOMB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back