Under Valve Cover Pics - 07 Pacifica 4.0L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a '07 Chrysler Pacifica with 4.0L SOHC V6 and 6 speed auto. It's a close relative of the SOHC 3.5L V6 which is far more popular. Had the engine bay halfway apart to do a timing belt service @ 129k. Did the plugs, valve cover gaskets, basically everything else within easy reach while I was at it. Unknown maintenance history (car is new to me), there are a couple scribbles in the maintenance manual about two recent oil changes @ 111k and 123k IIRC. Both were Valvoline Synthetic 10w-30.

The car had three owners before me, first was a 2-year lease, the 2nd from 24k - 75k, the last from 75-129k. I contacted the most recent owner on Facebook, it sounded like he didn't do much maintenance on the car-- timing belt service (and about everything else) was skipped which is why I'm doing it now.

Front bank:

dl8KB.jpg

dlTDG.jpg

Rear bank:

dlNNU.jpg

dlQl8.jpg

I am going to guess that the rear bank runs hotter than the front or does the engine use some sort of cylinder deactivation to improve fuel economy?

Rear bank is stuffed back by the firewall, front bank is more open and has air movement around it the majority of the time. I've seen this before on transverse V6 engines-- the rear bank of my Honda J35 V6 is noticeably darker than the front, though perhaps not to this degree...

No cylinder deactivation on this engine, nor variable valve timing. It does have staged intake runners, but other than that it's a plain Jane port injected transverse v6.

Not bad looking good, a tad varnished from extra heat behind the engine. It'll go another 100,000+

Front looks brand new, rear not bad at all.

Those rocker arms would live with 1500+# of open pressure, no clue why those are so massive. I'm no ChryCo fan, but that engine looks pretty clean. Credit to Valvoline!
smile.gif

Usually the clean valve cover is where clean air enters the engine and the varnished valve cover has the PCV. Check for varnish sludge in PCV hose and buildup in intake and on intake valves. Probable only slight accumulation.

Rod

Looks good, nothing to worry about there. Perfectly normal for the rear head of a transverse engine to look cleaner than the front. Continue what you're doing.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Is the pcv valve in the front or rear? It looks pretty good

PCV valve is @ the rear valve cover.

I think that motor is good for another 130K+ with what you're doing which is more than most people do.

Chrysler had plenty of time to work out the kinks from their 42LE which was the basis for your tranny - I think a fresh fill of ATF+4 and a new filter wouldn't hurt as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back