Sylvannia vs off brand High intensity bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a D1S high intensity discharge bulb for my son's Cadillac but I'm getting some wacko pricing for just a bulb.
Parts stores want $100 - $125 for a name brand and dealer wants over $200. Amazon offer some off brand and "ATSHARK" brand for $14 delivered to my door. What's going on? Do the cheap ones work?

Here is a happy medium. A pair of Philips for less than one of the Sylvania at your local store. And Philips tend to be better quality than Sylvania anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Automotiv...ds=d1s+hid+bulb

Here. I sorted to only Philips and Osram. Both are good quality bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/s/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_89_4?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ad1s+hid+bulb%2Cp_89%3AOsram%7CPhilips&keywords=d1s+hid+bulb&ie=UTF8&qid=1530979567&rnid=2528832011

Last edited:
I'm stuck in the great white north where it's 90F so I don't get the same prices but Amazon.ca will sell me a single Sylvania D1S for $72 delivered to my door. I'll have to talk to my son about this. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Last edited:
Another place to be suspicious.

I ordered 2 DS1 HID units claimed to have been Philips brand.

What arrived was 2 "white boxes" with no branding.

OMG PEOPLE LIE!

Chinese bulbs off eBay (~$15) or whatever can look pretty, but the light output is not there. Had mine for a few months until I got rid of the car so don't know about longevity. The Phillips and things for 50 ish bucks online are ok, nothing to write home about. They only lasted a few years until they start "winking'. I have Osram Xenerac (xenondepot) in my IS now, and those things are brighter than the old xenons AND fogs combined. Yes, they cost a pretty penny, but they are like a really good bad decision, didn't want to, and probable shouldn't have, but so glad you did.

Go to your local salvage yard. I bought a tail light assembly after a small accident. It had functioning bulbs and I kept the old assembly for the spare bulbs. All for $18. You could likely find what your looking for.

Last edited:
If the owner of the car is a DIY and replacement of that HID bulb is easy, i would say buy the china stuff. If the answer to both those questions is a no, get whatever name brand bulb.

I've bought D2R's bulbs from ebay for about $15 and they last me at least 3 years on the first set and i'm on my second set. OEM lasted about 5 years.

The bulb that just failed is an original and is 10 years old. If a Chinese bulb were to last 3 years that would probably be acceptable because the car will be gone by then. I'm seeing my son tonight and I'll give him the choice. Can't drive with only one headlight for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back