Need Rotors - Should I buy HC Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those should be decent, they don't make Advics for the rear so your aftermarket choices are limited. If you like to gamble try the ones from B&A available from Rock, they may be OE maybe not. OE is they way to go but may be out of this world for price, check anyway first.
High carbon rotors wear better and are preferable if they offer them.

Last edited:
My rotot of choice is Wagner coated rotors from Amazon or RockAuto. But you are not from the rust-belt so coated rotors may not be that big a concern to you.

Bosch is fine, Ive used them many times on the Euro cars. Bosch, Textar, Meyle are all exactly the same with the bright silver coating, and Akebono is the same line except with the more OEM grey coating. All 4 are packaged exactly the same, same boxes, wrapped in a plastic bag with anti corrosion paper, and lined with pieces of cardboard for protection. All stamped and stickered in the same places.

Sorry Bullet, I'm just making a comment and cannot assist your decision.

It seems that high carbon and coated rotors are the new buzz words for selecting rotors now a days. Interesting how things change. Even Autozone has a high carbon coated product that features a 3 year warranty.

One wonders if there is much quality difference between these house brands and the Centrics often touted here. It is very difficult to not jump on the "group think" wagon.

Aren't all rotors high-carbon?

If they weren't I don't think they'd last very long.

Like Lucky Strike marketing "It's toasted!" All cigarettes are toasted.

Get coated rotors like Centric premium or EBC premium or Wagner E-coated. The ocating is awesome and really does help.

If you like HC, Centric does make a HC rotor that is coated. Part number starts with 125
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Get coated rotors like Centric premium or EBC premium or Wagner E-coated. The ocating is awesome and really does help.

If you like HC, Centric does make a HC rotor that is coated. Part number starts with 125
smile.gif

What about the Raybestos coated rotors? I never see you mention them.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What about the Raybestos coated rotors? I never see you mention them.

Raybestos doesn't coat the inside of the hat, so they will stick to the hub. Centric and Wagner do coat the inside hat, so they will not freeze to the hub. Also, Raybestos usually costs more than the other brands I mentioned.

Here's an example, for the 8th gen Civic (select any year from 2006-2011 on Rock Auto)

Raybestos
980059_BAC__ra_p.jpg

Centric
CE_12040056_Bac__ra_p.jpg

Wagner
MWG_BD126055E_P01_BAC__ra_p.jpg

smile.gif

Where can I buy a Centric HC rear rotor for an FJ Cruiser?

Originally Posted By: Bullet
Was looking at Bosch rotors because rear high carbon rotors for an FJ Cruiser aren’t found many places.

How’s the quality of these rotor?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bosc...5bos/10775113-P

Thanks

hey bullet.. I have a scion tc (toyota). I use the Bosch Quietcast on mine and they're excellent quality. The only aftermarket rotor/disc I've found to measure out at practically 0.0005, spec is 0.001.. Either way when measuring the runout it just vibrates at ZERO! That's excellent quality in my book!

I did try Toyota's rotors back a couple years ago, they warped, yes warped out quickly. Parts guy said Toyota had gotten some bad metallurgy in the batch. Oh thanks.. No refund, nothing..

That's when I went looking and tried Bosch, never looked back! They are high carbon and it DOES make a difference. Stops are much more powerful and that's using the same carbon-kevlar pads I've been using over the years.

So.. point is, get the Bosch, you'll see exactly what I've been writing here.
thumbsup2.gif

@researcher, how is the rust on them?

hey slacktide.. the coating does keep the rust off for about 3-4years, then it does wear off, but by then I've put so many miles on the rotors it's time for new ones. At about the 3-4 year mark, the edges of the rotors had rust forming, but the center/top hat was still silver. So the coating does work, just not forever. Which is fine with me because nothing is that perfect in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back