Is the 3.5 engine in a Honda the same as wife car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 6 months ago I got a Honda Ridgeline, with the 3.5 engine. Yesterday, I got the wife a new RX350 with the 3.5 engine,, are they the same? I will change the oil around 1,500 to 2,000 miles in the RX, and then every 5,000 miles, I change it in the truck every 5,000 miles also.

Time to update your signature on here.

Does the Ridgeline have vcm in it?

Last edited:
They're the same displacement, but different. Looks like the RDX has the J35Z2 engine, and the Ridgeline has J35Y6. Ridgeline is actually more powerful by a little, but peaks at slightly lower RPM.

Oil wise the engines should be identical.

Odds are high that the 3.5 in the Honda is different than the 3.5 in the RX350 Lexus...
33.gif

Nice vehicles BTW.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Odds are high that the 3.5 in the Honda is different than the 3.5 in the RX350 Lexus...
33.gif

Nice vehicles BTW.

why?

other than displacement(bore and piston diameter), the 3.7 in my uncle's Lincoln, and the 3.5 in my Mercury are basically the same.(and my Mercury's 3.5 is 100% identical to My Mom's Ford's 3.5) they even came off the same assembly line...

now these are Ford Products, not Honda, but...

NEVERMIND...DOI! Lexus Is a Toyota! the fancy Honda is ACURA!!..... sorry.

Last edited:
LOL I make the same mistake often with vehicles & brands that have alphanumeric badging (RX##, MDX, et al.) Easy mistake to make.

Both are same displacement with some differences and some similarities one has vtec the other vvti one made by honda the other Toyota/Lexus. Both vehicles and power mills are top notch lots of luck with them

If you're asking do they use the same weight oil and amount that's something you'll find in the owners manual. The Lexus if like many newer Toyota's may use 0w20 or even 0w16
The Ridgeline maybe 0w20-5w30 depending on climate and if you're towing. Again check the manuals.

Also they'll probably differ in the length between oil change intervals .

Last edited:
Of course they are the same!
Both are sourced from Japan, so they probably share lots of engine components.

smirk.gif

Does the Honda/Acura 3.5L V6 still use a timing belt?
I know that the Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 uses a chain and has for some time!

My bro's '07 Odyssey has a 3.5 as does my bro-in-law's 2000 Acura RL.

I did a little looking years ago and recall seeing something like 7 "variations" of the 3.5.

The tell was a final digit which was ordinal.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Does the Honda/Acura 3.5L V6 still use a timing belt?
I know that the Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 uses a chain and has for some time!

Yes.
Honda is still using a timing belt on their 3.5L V/6. They have always used timing belts on their V/6 engines. The Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V/6 always had a timing chain (the 3.0L, 3.3L, and 3.4L V/6 engines had timing belts).

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

smirk.gif

The Honda engines come from two plants in the US. Toyota makes engines everywhere.

smirk.gif

Well I guess that probably means it's not the same as my Mercedes engine, it's also a 3.5L engine. But Germany and Japan were allies in the war though....

The 3.5 means 350 cu in and is a deviant of the original 265/283/327/302 Z-28/350/400 etc made by Chebby General Mills.
Right?

All good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

smirk.gif

Well I guess that probably means it's not the same as my Mercedes engine, it's also a 3.5L engine. But Germany and Japan were allies in the war though....

Exactly
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back