HydroGear EZT-2200 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to change the transmission 20w-50 to Napa full synthetic 15w-50 which is on sale for $3/qt. People have used Mobil 15w-50 with success. Napa posted the msds and it points to Valvoline as the manufacturer.

Napa 15w-50 msds

Am I good to go?
$12 for 4 qts is a pretty good deal for a full trans change.

Last edited:
Should work perfectly in those drives. The main thing is the oil is being refreshed.

My Cub Cadet ZTR only has 30hrs and will do the OC after the 3yr/120hrs warranty expires in July 2020.
Definitely excessive maintenance planning but I can’t pass a Valvoline 15w-50 synthetic deal at $3/qt.

Originally Posted By: JTK
You'll probably have another oil choice by then!

Maybe, but 15w50 passenger motor oil is not an expanding market since there is a push to lower viscosity oil.
The 15w50 demand isn’t there for manufacture to increase product offering or offer significant discount by sale price or rebate. The only exception would be if all OPE end-users moved south to the state of Tx or Fl and use 15w50 all year round.

The Napa 15w-50 only has Zn 800ppm and P 760ppm. Kinda of low.
Do I need to mix it with Valvoline VR1 racing 20W-50 has which approximately 1100+ ppm Zn an P?

All I'll say is that HyDroGear themselves printed a list of "approved" oils for their tannies, and it only had a handful of names on it, only two or three that I could get locally, and the biggie was Mobil 1 15w50. Now, no other "name" oil was on that list as I remember, but it's been a while since I saw it. But since oil is cheap and trannies are not, in this one case, I did what the manufacturer recommended and used the Mobil 1 in a HG 735 I had. I don't believe you'll have a problem, and I know it's more than likely that HG just didn't want to test/approve every oil out there, because it would take a while, so they just approved a handful and have done with it. BUT, I still will follow their advice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bchannell
All I'll say is that HyDroGear themselves printed a list of "approved" oils for their tannies, and it only had a handful of names on it, only two or three that I could get locally, and the biggie was Mobil 1 15w50. Now, no other "name" oil was on that list as I remember, but it's been a while since I saw it. But since oil is cheap and trannies are not, in this one case, I did what the manufacturer recommended and used the Mobil 1 in a HG 735 I had. I don't believe you'll have a problem, and I know it's more than likely that HG just didn't want to test/approve every oil out there, because it would take a while, so they just approved a handful and have done with it. BUT, I still will follow their advice.

Good to know that they recommended the Mobil 1 15w50. The HG tech was reluctant to recommend a brand but suggested that 15w50 synthetic was fine. This Mobil 1 15w50 definitely has Zn/P in the 1100+ range.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
Where did you get this? When I did the initial oil change on my ZT-2800 a couple years ago, I called and questioned about using the synthetic 15w50 and the guy about half got cranky with me for suggesting something other than conventional 20w50. I just used Mobil 1 15w50 anyways and worked just as fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back